PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 24 August 2018

D-Gruppe -created while The Beatles were still music chart toppers!

Last time (June) I tried to contact German comic events regarding 2019 and a table I got zero responses.  Two friends (Germans) and some of my family there pointed out that Germans were "still pissed at the English over Brexit".

Hey, I'm half German and I never voted for Brexit.

I was planning on doing something with D-Gruppe since it's over 50 years since I created the heroes and team.  Yes, someone pointed out to me that if I created them when I did that is well over 50 years...I'd sooner not think about that!

I was thinking about translating the work into German but my German is NOT that good!  Also, enough German comic fans buy US comics, which are in the English language, so is there that big a need to translate? I’m still in two minds over this aspect of the project.

At 04:15 hrs this morning I was even reconsidering redrawing everything (again) but decided "It is what it is -move on".  I have never claimed (despite what some claim –they know who they are) to be the greatest comic artist around and I drew the series out of necessity after one artist after another decided to move on for various reasons. To me the style I was happiest with was the one of my pencils with Ben Dilworth inks –to me that defined “the look”.

Another month and it will be a year since I last heard from Ben Dilworth in Japan. There were things planned but to be honest I have no idea if he is still alive!

But things are so far behind schedule with D-Gruppe: although the team has appeared in Return of the Gods –part of the team vanishing while chasing a UFO which would have led to –D-Gruppe: Lost in Space. They also feature in The Trial (in Black Tower Super Heroes) and The “other guys” –Task Force Germany- should have been integrated into D-Gruppe after The Days of Darkness story.  Both teams do appear in The Green Skies but all plans can be chopped and changed.

Things have changed since the 1960s.  No, really they have.  I come from the past and can confirm that.  I think the “top tech” D-Gruppe had in the 1960s was the telephone (not the mobile ones), walkie-talkies and meeting room with video-link monitor.  Although the stories (in drawn form) no longer exist the stories are still gathering memory dust in my head.


Yep. 2019 I have to do something special!


No comments:

Post a Comment