PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 19 July 2012

Titan Books: Harker -The Book Of Solomon. A Class Act -And It’s From UK Creators!!



Harker: The Book Of Solomon

Roger Gibson (writer/co-plotter), Vince Danks (co-plotter artist)
Titan Books
Hardback
Black and white
128 pages
Dimensions: 258 x 170mm
ISBN: 9780857689740
Publication date: 17 August 2012
RRP £14.99

When a series of gruesome cult killings take place near the British Museum, DCI Harker and his assistant DS Critchley are called to London to solve the case. Middle class satanists, dusty old bookshops, a labyrinth under the museum, a frantic car chase and wry, cutting humour all combine in this love letter to classic British detective television series. Written by newcomer Roger Gibson and illustrated by the adept Vince Danks, Harker takes police investigation to a true heart of darkness.

I recall a Bristol Comic Expo where I saw these two fellows talking to someone. I knew I had seen them before because I may forget names but a face once seen is never forgotten.  Couldn’t remember where I’d seen them but, later in the day, I sat down to read a comic I’d purchased…there were those two men!  At this point I start questioning whether my mind is going and I’m seeing comic book characters walking about again (don’t ask).

Now, if you ever meet Messrs Gibson and Danks you will be looking at the dopplegangers of Harker and Critchley.

I just mention that.

Danks, of course, drew the wonderful Clock comic for Kult creations in which his use of clean line and tones was masterful –never under estimate the amount of skill it takes to properly use grey tones!  The figures, architecture –the whole package- is superbly rendered and something I’ve not seen outside of French BD for a very long time indeed.

And the story? Very good with nice snappy dialogue and I’ll even forgive the dialogue on the last page which is exactly the same as in a book I’ve just finished lettering.  Bugger –I’ll have to change that now!  This is so much better than any American cop comic. In fact, it is just as good as BD we see from France.

This book I would Highly Recommend –it has action, mystery and good characterisation and here’s hoping this helps Messrs Danks and Gibson earn a living in the industry!


Above: one of my favourite scenes just for the setting and atmosphere. Just look at the details added to curtains, ceilings and walls.  Gert lush.



Ahh, you can’t do better than the good old fashioned Bobby or “Blue Bottle” or “99″ or “Peeler” or even “Robert” and if you are too young to understand that -”Copper”

No comments:

Post a Comment