PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 31 December 2017

Bringing The Strange & Weird To YOU....The Documentary Saga

I have in the past explained the various problems of working with TV companies such as the BBC, ITV and Channel 5 (in the UK).  I even mentioned how I blacklisted the BBC -they receive no cooperation from me because...after a lot of work they never paid me.  About ten days ago some BBC reporter contacted me regarding exotic animals in the UK (that's all covered in the AOP and Exotic Animal Register blogs) and was shocked that I was not willing to cooperate even after explaining things to him.

Even back in the 1990s when ITV was interested in two series I had written and developed things were screwed up by them (I still have the letters!). Three German TV companies were willing to put money into the production after I did all the work approaching and talking to them -all ITV had to do was discuss the finances with them (I refused to deal with the money side of things more fool me). After a month I was asked "What's happening?" I contacted ITV: "Oh, we're on it" so the Germans wait...and wait...and I've seemed to disintegrate so a year of working went down the pan.

I have worked with documentary makers as an advisor as well as being interviewed -BBC, ITV and Independent companies.  Good and bad experiences.  However, the last five years have been almost a nightmare.  Two different documentary makers contacted me about the idea of a British Comics documentary series (we don't seem to get those in the UK); lots of work, notes, line up possible interviewees and...nothing.  One found that they had overstretched themselves financially (?) and the other was not that legit: a bunch of students who had the equipment, gave themselves a fancy name and talked big but it seems they had not been commissioned to do a documentary for BBC 4 (TV) -they were hoping to sell to them. Things crumbled when I asked about financial remuneration for all the work I had been doing over a couple months.  They could not pay then they vanished.

The same thing with the Some Things Strange & Sinister/Somethings Strange and Weird proposals.  Lots of talking, submitting material, altering material to what "they" wanted -even a preliminary first script which was a pain. I could go on and on but the same stories apply here as with the above. Great web sites, flashy brochures and equipment but totally amateur and I even had to explain to two how something they were stumped on could be done.

But I never get into any heavy work schedule now. I ask outright what I am being paid and there is usually a vague response.  I say I cannot do work unless I know what I am being paid and "who is buying this documentary?" More vagueness.

One company I was just dealing with fell to pieces when I asked for a contract guaranteeing remunerations for my work before a documentary or series was sold.  Their company would need to pay me for working for them.  Seems they were all talk because I got the "I'll be honest with you" email (not even a phone call) "We're renting the gear and hope to break into documentary making and selling those--"  No. Sit in front of me and put all your cards on the table and tell the truth. I am quite flexible with work but telling lies from the outset and I back away.

I am seriously thinking that there are no genuine documentary makers out there or, if there are, they are not that innovative or creative about what they make.

Looks like 2018 will be a year of looking outside the UK for serious companies.


No comments:

Post a Comment