PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 26 February 2012

The British Comics Industry…Cancelled.



Well, the International Comic Expo panel in May, “The State Of The British Comics Industry” is cancelled.
I’ve tried all those people who were all up to being on the panel and had strong views on the subject but only one has responded with a “well…maybe…not sure.”  Not good enough.
 
Seriously, if this is publisher/creator attitude there is no point bothering.  As I’ve written before, this speaks volumes about the industry and those working/trying to work in it.  ‘Good luck’ to you all as you try to crawl your way into…well, what-ever might still be going.
 
Personally, I’m too busy with business to try helping to save an industry full of people who just want to live off past glory (if any) and who do not care.
 
I can see why certain factions in the UK hate European comics: in Europe they tend to be passionate and care about their industry and comics as an art form.  Do not tell me “Comics are a dying art here -fewer people are buying” because I’ll seriously do you some damage.  Cinebook goes from strength-to-strength and there are still Independent publishers out there doing well.
 
phrrt.

3 comments:

  1. Fewer people ARE buying, Terry. That's a simple fact. And I'm sure that those independent publishers of which you speak would certainly like to do better than they currently are.

    The circulation figures speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kid.
    Actually, Cinebook have had sales rising in the UK and US and in France the sales of BD are going so well that companies have now launched into...newsagents!

    I spoke to a few people who were at the MCM Expo and they report good sales but also told me certain Indie publishers were claiming things were "slow" and a "struggle" at the show despite "My Eyes" noting they sold out of some books and were making quite a wedge.

    Its something I see at the Bristol Expo. Each year as I'm talking to people I watch what is going on. Three publishers who I was watching selling and selling out to boot, later told me "Bit of a struggle to get sales. Didn't do that well."!

    Marvel and DC sales are still going down but with Disney getting strong arm over editorial decisions it may get worse.

    I think it all comes down to WHAT you are offering -there are so many Alternative/Small Press events in the UK and dealers there do very well.

    Publishers tend not to want to say how well they do because they have learnt from the Big Boys and don't want to give their money to the tax man. About three years ago at the Bristol Expo dealers were panicky and looking around all the time. I asked what was wrong? "There's a bloody tax man checking everyone out -we gotta be careful" I was told. Actually, I had joked to someone earlier about a man in suit and tie with a brief case -"Oh, that's the tax guy checking things out" I joked. I'd like to thank Joe who spread that around with a boot up the arse but I DID sat it!

    The problem is, though, if no one wants to discuss the current state of the UK industry or its future its plain fekked!

    And I've given up anyway. I can't fight a one man campaign at my age even if I do have a "saviour complex"!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry,

    I was thinking more of the 'mainstream' comics industry, compared to what it used to be like back in the '60s, '70s & '80s. We used to have an actual 'industry' in this country at one time - now it's more like a stall at a car boot sale. Small press publications might be doing well enough to make some people a little money, but anybody who publishes anything (apart from those just in it for fun) must surely wish for the kind of sales that comics once enjoyed. When The Dandy is only selling around seven and a half thousand a week, then it doesn't bode well for the future.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete