Apparently I'm too sarcastic when it comes to dishing out DC and Marvel news. No, really -I just hadn't realised.
So, I'm going to share this item by Jesse Schedeen from IGN which you will find here:
SDCC 2014: Marvel's Avengers NOW! Panel Recap
Yesterday at the Avengers & X-Men: All-AXIS panel, Marvel focused mainly on the upcoming AXIS event and also announced Rick Remender and Jerome Opena's graphic novel, Avengers: Rage of Ultron. Today's Avengers NOW! panel looked beyond AXIS to some of the projects in the works for late 2014. Remender and fellow writers Jason Aaron, Nathan Edmondson, and Nick Spencer, as well as Marvel Senior Editor Nick Lowe and Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso were on hand to discuss how the Avengers franchise will evolve moving into 2015.
Two new Avengers comics were announced during the course of the panel. First was Captain America & the Mighty Avengers, from writer Al Ewing and artist Luke Ross. The series is replacing the current Mighty Avengers volume and features the new Captain America (Sam Wilson, in case you haven't heard the news) as team leader. Spider-Man will also be rejoining the team, unaware of the trouble he caused Luke Cage and Jessica Jones during his Superior phase. The series will debut in November 2014.
The other new book is Angela: Asgard's Assassin from co-writers Kieron Gillen and Maguerite Bennett and artists Phil Jimenez and Stephanie Hans. As the title suggests, the series spins out of recent revelations in Original Sin about Angela being the long-lost sister of Thor and Loki. The series explores Angela's quest for "a clean slate" after being cast out of the Tenth Realm. This series will also launch in November.
During the panel, Remender discussed how his Captain America run will build towards the upcoming All-New Captain America relaunch. The current arc will explore the relationship between Arnim Zola and Red Skull, while issue #25 will show Sam Wilson earning the mantle. Remender said Sam is the logical choice to replace Steve Rogers because he "speaks to a modern sensibility and audience."
Alonso said that Angela's new series is a way of allowing the character to have her own platform in Marvel's catalog while also showing how she fits into the larger universe. Aaron wouldn't deny the possibility that Angela is also the new female Thor, though he also joked the mystery heroine is really Aunt May. Aaron also said he's been building to the development of Thor being unworthy to wield Mjolnir for a while. Thor will still appear in the new series, but the female Thor (whose identity is a mystery to all but Odin) will be the main focus. Alonso reiterated that this is a status quo change that won't be going away anytime soon.
Various other Avengers-centric titles and story tidbits were discussed during the course of the panel:
- Avengers World #10-11 will see the series' plot points "come to a head" and will feature both Black Knight's Euro Force and the Chinese team The Ascendents.
- Obviously, Deathlok's TV debut played a role in Marvel green-lighting the character's new solo series. Edmondson said much of the conflict will revolve round the fact that the main character is completely unaware that he's a deadly cyborg assassin.
- Remender created the "inciting incident" for the Superior Iron Man status quo, and Marvel then turned to Tom Taylor to develop the idea into a new series. Alonso confirmed that a meeting between Iron Man and fellow SF resident Daredevil is "very likely."
- The new female Thor isn't appearing in AXIS because Remender wanted to write a crucial scene involving regular Thor and Odin. A firm timeline has been established among Marvel's writers for where the Avengers NOW! books fall in relation to AXIS.
- A new character will be taking up the mantle of Nomad. This Nomad has ties to Steve Rogers but isn't Steve himself.
- Edmondson feels Black Widow works best as a solo character, but hinted that the Avengers will play a role in her book as they discover some of the questionable actions she's undertaken.
- When asked why Sif wasn't tapped to replace Thor, Aaron said he wanted to create a new Thor and compared it to "the difference between telling a story about Robin and a story about Batman."
- Alonso said Marvel has big plans in mind for Doctor Strange, and they even have a writer lined up for a solo series to be announced down the road. He said there's a reason Strange features so prominently in Original Sin.
- Remender teased that the image of Stephen Colbert becoming the new Falcon is "canon." Whether he's serious remains to be seen.
Wow. A NEW number one Avengers...sorry -TWO new first issues of NEW Avengers titles. I was sat here thinking just yesterday "What we really need is a couple new Avengers titles" -and look what happens! Incredible.
"Angela"....?!! I know they are American and we are talking Marvel Comics (Disney) here but do they realise that Asgard, Thor, Odin, etc., etc., are all Northern European? I just checked my Larousse Encyclopaedia of Mythology and no name "Angela" crops up. I even checked a list of old Nordic names -no Angela. Tom Brevoort must have been plunging his finger into the Black Hole of Calcutta again -"OOH! OOH! Idea!"
Next, Thor is a GOD. He is ancient. The hammer says someone has to be worthy to YIELD THE POWER of Thor -NOT FUCKING REPLACE HIM AS A GOD AND CHANGE HIS SEX.
Marvel Comics is full of ass-holes and the same applies to the head butt keepers at Disney. Let's not get in the way of avoiding possible copyright claims (ahh, those nuisance Nordic chroniclers!) and trying to get another "super babe" in comics -just what those sad, nerdy geeks stuck in their rooms need: another comic babe to masturbate to.
I do hope I'm not coming across all angry?
Hey -a black Captain America that can fly and can have a little humour added in. I think that is an absolutely brilliant idea.
Defecate all over the work that established Marvel Comics as THE House of Ideas and turn it into a pile of Disney sludge? Why not? It is their company after all and Brevoort is over-filled with sludge that needs releasing with all the integrity that only Brevoort can command.
I think Marvel Comics are hitting new heights now and I reall want to polish up my old Merry Marvel Marching Society badge and wear it proudly when I go shopping.
Anyway, I have to rush as it's Sunday Sarcastiball Match day and I'm topped up with "Joy Juice" to replenish my energy.