Total Pageviews

Translate

Friday, 7 August 2026

Cinebook: Harry Dickson 3 -The Red-Eyed Vampire

 



Authors: Luana Vergari and Doug Headline, from a story by Jean Ray; illustrated by Onofrio Catacchio

Age: 12 years and up

Size: 21.7 x 28.7 cm

Number of pages: 56 colour pages

£10.99 inc. VAT

ISBN: 9781800441880

Please consider buying direct from the publisher –it helps them survive!

https://www.cinebook.co.uk/harry-dickson-eyed-vampire-p-4602.html?osCsid=u2fncsc7lqqukd59gc321v1v06

 

Harry Dickson’s skills were instrumental in getting blood-thirsty killer ‘the Red-Eyed Vampire’ arrested. The detective is invited to the small German town where the murderer was from to witness his execution. However, he cannot help but wonder whether somebody else was controlling the ‘Vampire’ before abandoning him.

When an attempt is made to break into the condemned man’s cell the night before his death, Dickson knows that the investigation is not over yet …

Yes, it is the classic and very delightful “Detective solves the case and catches the murderer but…” plot.  Will Dickson find out what was going on and whether someone or…some thing was behind Ebenezer Krank controlling things? You will need to buy this book to find out and I will admit I spotted Sherlock Holmes in panel 1 page 5….IT WAS HIM!!!

Onofrio’s art is the sexiest four colour eye candy I have seen in a long time. The characters the scenes all work so well that, yes, I did go through it twice (liar –it was three times). And.. colour wise the work of Ooshima makes things even more incredible looking –I’m sure I’ve mentioned Ooshima’s work in a previous review?

Add the story into the mix (which would not have existed without the script based on an original story by Jean Ray)  and you have everything you need for a quiet night in reliving the era when you were no real detective unless you had a trench-coat, an assistant, smoked a pipe and had a concealed weapon (rightly it should be a Webley revolver but then again Americans insist that it should be a “snub-nosed 38” –so common).

Love it. I think I am inspired to watch Rathbone and Bruce’s Sherlock Holmes and The Scarlet Claw later!

No comments:

Post a Comment