PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 1 April 2024

Ah, Prague 1992....I have very little recollection

I was sorting through boxes to get space for the new shelving coming and I found a couple of European comic items. The main one was about Euro Comics Prague 1992.  I will be honest that late 1980s and through the 1990s I often went to London on comics business and even any conventions or events were attended for work. So where did I get this? 

I can remember who fellas from the then Czechoslovakia that no English creators were apparently interested in talking to (at one of the Bristol International Comic Expos I found a Spanish man who did not speak much English and a couple of well known creators simply turned their backs on him. Someone brought him over to me and said "I think this is one for you Terry" -long story short I did my best and he was happy to chat to someone and I got a free art book as a thank you). Anyway, the two fellas looked confused and I asked if they needed any help -and the conversation went on from there.  

It turns out that they had an investor who wanted to publish comics and they came to the UK to talk to creators but no0 one would talk. In fact they were quite rude to the visitors. I think it must have been a UK Comic Art Convention (UKCAC). There was a conversation and I had some scripts and art with me and that was it. A week later I got a letter and then a phone call and I put together a 48pp comic "on spec".  Things seemed to be going fine I was told that there were some problems with the investor....and no more was heard.

I did have an invite top this event but with no money for travelling (damn rent and food!) I never attended.  Anyway here is the 4pp leaflet -any readers actually attend the event?






 

No comments:

Post a Comment