PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 18 April 2024

Europe; I Hear You -Send Me Cash!

 


Got a Face Book message today and I was going to delete but realised I knew the name. I'm notorious for being useless with names but this one I recalled as we had corresponded in the 1980s when the person was working for Bastei Verlag, a German publishing house. 

 Apparently my name came up in a discussion amongst some European comic fans. The question was why I had not turned up to some German comic events I was invited to. So I explained. 1. I do not have a passport and 2. I certainly do not have the cash to travel to Europe to events. 

 That led to another question because "You have 200 or more books and you must sell?" Oh, if only. "But you sell at UK conventions?"  Nope. It is a closed shop as we call it. The nasty bullies combined with cowards running events means only "approved" people get to conventions. It is just bullyi9ng because the people involved ceased being "someone" in comics (if they ever were) back in the 1980s.  

Also, the cost of tables at UK conventions may be money makers for the organisers but for small publishers...you may as well flush your money down a toilet. A £180, £200 or £250 table -you are never going to sell enough to make that as well as travelling expenses back. How these conventions get away with it I have no idea.

The conversation ended with "You should live in Europe where comics are appreciated more".

I really would like to go to a couple European conventions but no money is no money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment