PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 31 May 2016

Cinebook the 9th Art: Valerian and Laureline 11 - The Ghosts of Inverloch


Authors: Mézières & Christin
Age: 12 years and up
Size: 21.7 x 28.7 cm
Number of pages: 48 colour pages
Paperback
Publication: March 2016
ISBN: 9781849182935
Price: £6.99 inc. VAT
 
 
Galaxity’s orders are rather bizarre, lately. Laureline has been left on stand-by in a Scottish castle. Valerian, haunted by recurrent nightmares, has been sent to capture a sentient being as if it were a wild animal – an unsavoury task, to say the least. And on Earth in the 1980s, members of the military and political elites are descending into madness one by one. What future does our planet still have ... and who’s so bent of changing it?

To be honest I'd buy this book based on the cover alone! You can see why they are making a movie based on these characters.

One thing I never realised when I read the Valerian strip in German in the first run of  Zack was just how complex the whole series is. Deep space, the 1980s -far, far more than I saw in my limited Zack reading!  At times quite quirky -which I love!- I can't say too much with spoilers. I was looking forward to Cinebook publishing this series when Olivier Cadic mentioned it but I had no idea how much more I'd love it.

Strange alien life forms, odd characters as well as our troubled hero -and a rather non-plussed heroine. Page 16 with the handy fella who has a look of the Jon Pertwee about him and, on pages 16 and 17 the two ladies on the train had me thinking Mary Whitehouse and a certain Thatcher! This is a great series and I just hope the movie lives up to it!



Note: Cinebook tell me that the lack of preview pages is down to a technical problem. Once they appear I will update the reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment