PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 10 June 2020

Chinese Manhua and Manga and Manhwa

Out of the blue came a comment on Pinterest: "When are you going to do more on Manhua. Your name keeps cropping up on Manga sites on the subject..."

Really?  I know a lot of people who wanted to be hip (the only thing "hip" about me is the pain in the right hip) copied and pasted my previous posts without credit but  I feel honored that any legit Manga groups refer to me or my posts.
Above the total of my Manhwa/Manhua/Manga collection excluding the single issue books
_________________________________________________________________________________

The truth of the matter is that my collection is well out of date.  Everyone knew that when I went to London on business I had to go to China Town to check for Manhwa as well as buy the huge bottles of Chinese ink and art brushes!  The fact that I have not visited London for some years meant I had to rely on Bristol Chinese stores like Wae Yee Hong but finding Manhwa there -or in the other two stores- became a rarity.

I did, at one point order from asiapac Books but postal rates saw that fade away quickly.  If you are a collector you  know what I mean; find reasonable priced books and you think "okay" but the postage is double the cost of the books


I have a full set of Kia Asimaya's Junk: Record of the Last Hero as well as a Japanese edition. I'd recommend that series to anyone interested.



I also have a copy of The Art of Yasushi Suzuki which is gorgeous.

I slso possess the small but incredible book Gothic Cage by the same author.



There are also issues 1 and two of Jae Hak Lee's Korean Manhwa The Demon Warrior with all of its action and intrigue.

There is also a copy of issue 2 of another Korean Manhwa -Hyun-Jong Choi's Trickster Monkey King

Of course my love of Hong Kong originated Manhua is well known. Adventure of the 4-D Monkey is a favourite and probably because, in a way, it reminded me of one of my favourite old US publishers -Charlton Comics!  Story by Dr Leung Ting and art by Johnny Y and W Lee.

Dr Leung's Comics also published Yin Fei The Chinese Ninja -the most Charlton of their books and issue 3 "Ghost Village" is lovely!

The company also published The One Armed Swordsman -written by Ben Lee with art by MAS and Kung Fu techniques advisor was Dr Leung Ting.  Editor was Victoria Ward. My first issue still has the poster (of the cover) in it.

Tony Wong's Jademan Comics feature highly in my collection as these images will show!








These I have not been able to identify the titles of -any help welcome (my guesses do not count!)





While I have a few -when checking my collection I noted that some titles were missing or as I call it stolen.  It's what happens when you let others near your collections! - I do not have as many as I would like. The printing, cover and interior are and techniques are all gorgeous to look at if you do not read Chinese but never let not understanding a language stop you from checking out a comic.

One thing I noted was that some of the later Manhua must have been picked up by my older brother while he worked in Singapore. One book came from Sultana Book Store and cost $1.oo while a second was purchased at Vermore and cost $1.70 (Singapore $).

I ought to note that all of the images here are low res because my camera is nearing the end!  However, in the past I uploaded high res scans and was alerted to people downloading these and using them to make knock-off t-shirts to sell at US conventions -as they later did with Dragonball Z images from CBO. So I apologise for the quality.

Any Manhua, Manhwa or Manga sellers out there want books reviewed or business publicised I am open to a bribe of a few comics!


No comments:

Post a Comment