PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 10 June 2020

Someone Asked...Seoul Graphics and Korean Manhwa

I was asked whether I had been involved with a Korean Manhwa publisher and what happened.

Well I worked with Dr Jeyeon Kim's Seoul Graphics and even designed their blog header and blog look. I helped promote Eunyoung Hong's Greek and Roman Mythology as well as Donghwa Kim's The Red Bicycle. These were Korean Manhwa to be published in English starting wioth the UK.
Above and below from Hong's Greek and Roman Mythology

Dr Kim returned to Korea in 2010/2011 because she found absolutely no support for the publishing venture amongst the UK comics 'community'. I called it utter disinteresrt.

The Seoul Graphics blog https://seoulgraphics.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/the-red-bicycle-by-donghwa-kim/ has not been updated for obvious reasons.

After getting burnt with a Russian then Japanese deal (the Japanese deal is well known in the UK and it failed because comic book 'nice guys' told the businessman involved all sorts of stories about one another -he called the whole environment "extremely toxic".  Also UK comics press justtold him outright they had no interest in his project.

Above and below: The Red Bicycle

I am not sure why Dr Kim returned to Korea (I may have been told but it was over 10 years ago!) but I tended to shy away from foreign publishers...then getting my fingers and ass burnt working with India companies taught me a lesson.

Mind you, any Chinese businessmen wanting to set up a UK comics company --let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment