PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 20 February 2024

Watch What you buy on Ebay, kids!

 A warning. Back in the 1970s two sets of facsimile 1900s comics were published by Denis Gifford.

The paper quality is modern and I have now bought three that were sold as genuine editions -got my money back each time with a "I didn't know" -the sellers had the other issues so big lie.

That's just a poor scan the seller posted up but it has the browning that makes it LOOK 1930s-ish

This is NOT a 1931 copy of Jester. It is a facsimile and one of five facsimile comics published by Denis Gifford in the 1970s.

"vintage Jester comic No 1552 Aug 8th 1931" No 1552 Aug 8th 1931, HAS BEEN FOLDED & WILL BE POSTED THUS. Very good condition, signs of aging, some page browning"

said seller sv7who (13714)

Convenient as that way you could not see the tell tale signs. So I got the copy and saw it straight away as not genuine first edition.  So I wrote:

"Bloody annoyed as you are the third seller to sell me one of those facsimiles as genuine vintage."

BE WARNED!

3 comments:

  1. I remember these. I have a facsimile or two myself that I bought at the time. One of The Rainbow that I bought for a surprise for my mother. Very chuffed she was with it too. It helped emotionally, given the memory issues she was having. Also, going through old photos and she actually wrote out her entire post round, people and houses and in order of visit. It just shows what the simplest of things can trigger off, but you have to know what it is you're buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got my money back and no argument and I suspect this was a deliberate attempt to pass it off as genuine. None of the age browning (as it looks) in the photo was present, no browning interior pages and modern staples (these comics had no staples in them). These are people who should get negative feedback but because I got an instant money back when I complained apparently I cannot do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than likely, although these days you can't totally rule out ignorance. Remember, we're either dealing with Eloi or Morlocks! 802,701 got here early.

      Delete