PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 19 February 2024

The Death of this Mangaka Speaks Volumes

Over the past few decades I have spoken to a lot of creators affected by depression and when I asked "how are you coping?" the immediate question is "How -?" Takes one to spot one. I have never hidden the fact that I am bipolar (unmedicated) but I never let it affect my work. People have used my openness to attack me with comments "Oh, he even admits he's mad" and "Well, you know he's mental, right?"

It's face in dirt. Pick yourself up and start again stronger than before. 11 years of age was when it started and I'm 65 now (a very young looking 65. Well, more like a good looking Victor Mature in his prime looking).

I have had ideas stolen by TV companies so many times and one well known producer I worked with told me "It's quite common. No comeback on companies".

Comics...oh boy where to start. Ideas, mini and maxi series ideas, characters -all stolen. And I was always told "You shouldn't complain otherwise they'll never employ you!" They don't -they STEAL ideas,

Some publishers (I am not going to mention Fantagraphics here...oops) will have a legal and signed contract with you and not only not pay you properly but will breach every stipulation of the contract and actually sell your work on without telling or paying you (Fantagraphiocs) and when you complain "Oh, more Hooper hyperbole!" and once even "oh go away". They will lie and continue selling books while telling you no more are in stock.

I refuse to let dishonourable people. Cheats and backstabbers (some of those backstabbers being 'friends' you have supported through hard times) grind me down.

Younger people are more prone to panic and reacting badly and the publishers and companies know that and depend on it in many cases. Publish your work yourself. You may remain poor but the only one in charge of everything is you (but double check irregularly to make sure you aren't pulling a fast one on yourself!). Joking aside I am reminded of a line from a movie: "Never let the bastards grind you down"



No comments:

Post a Comment