PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 7 February 2024

Life Long Avengers Collector -what issues do I have?

 I was checking the other day and my Marvel volume 1 of The Avengers covers issues 13-426 (the final of that volume). I have all the  other Avengers volumes though I think two only in trades as the contents were not that good (see my various reviews) so paying full price was something I was not willing to do and the trades were even cut price!

My early issues are not "fresh off the rack" quality but considering how old they are and all the moves I have had over the years "low grade is better than no grade". Issues 57 and 58 (of course!!) are damaged and coverless but still readable .  I did, as a kid, pick up X-Men 1-6 and Fantastic Four 1-7 (NEVER ask what happened to them -=you cannot choose your parents!).

What is odd is how the original art and stories seem to be more fun and the art was hand pencilled, inked and coloured.  What we see and call the Avengers in 2024 are not the originals that started being ruined in the 1990s by writers with no idea of who the characters were but just saw writing trash as their way to getting even better paid jobs.

They booted out Shooter after he made Marvel a success again and,,,what a mess since!


Oddly I had a dream of the Golden Age Vision meeting the Silver Age Vision lovely John Buscema art with it. 

2 comments:

  1. The early issues were before my time. On a whim this month I have been checking out the old Avengers trades from the library. Read a little from the regular title and some issues of Avengers West Coast. Very impressed with the quality of writing and art, especially compared to 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I started re-reading again but thought "Oh gods they are going to appear lame now" but was surprised by how good they were. The people knew the characters and a few were lifelong writers in various fields and Lee/Kirby/Thomas and even Shooter knew how to put together a good story and art because they were not writing it for themselves but comic fans. Trades are well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete