PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 31 January 2019

Well, Serves Me Bloody well Right!

The thing is that I know better. In the last 30 years I have found one forgotten crime fighting character after another -from the old British boys story papers, pulps or even comics.

I was updating some files for the Britcomics group -currently 126 Albums and 3,723 images (excluding images in text files)- and realised I needed to get a date for an illustration.  Went to the source and found another character -how I missed him the first time I have no idea but 6-7 years ago things were a bit bleak so I use that as an excuse.

I then noticed something....another character in a source I had only made a page number note on. There were, indeed costumed and masked super heroes (though the British preferred the term "adventurers") in the 1920s and before.  There were characters whom we would describe today as "human technology users" -yes, we had characters who used power suits and more way, way, way, before say Iron Man from Marvel -who was not the first character to hold that name as there was an "Iron Man" in the Boys papers...one a power suit/semi robotic and another in skin-tight outfit and mask in the early 1900s.

In fact, we had bat-winged flying wonders, leaping springalds, wall-crawlers, super strong and tech device using masked men in abundance. I sat looking at this stuff at around 0400 hrs this morning and realised just how piss-poor the UK scene had become.

Oh yes, this is all going to make for more research and even, perhaps a Guide To the Forgotten Heroes at some point (in fact, I just registered that title at my POD publisher and mentioned it in other places so it is "a thing" now).

Onward and Forward!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete