PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 24 September 2015

I'll Make It Clear

I appear to have annoyed/confused/angered some people by stating I may not continue CBO next year. The thing is that if I am not publishing new books and earning money to live on and there is only 1% (in reality it doesn't even come out as 1% but it's the best I can come up with) response to any postings from the 2000+ who visit here each day then what is it that should persuade me to continue?

A blog with this many visitors/hits and that has been going for 15 or so years cannot generate revenue. No publisher is even willing to consider paying for an ad and I have tried everyone who has benefited from CBO over those years. 

Companies NOT short of a little spare cash.  They WILL take every free piece of free publicity they can get to keep sells coming and even state CBO is a "vital" part of that.  So, it's okay for me to spend all day editing some very bad Press Releases -some not including basic info such as...how to order a book!- and writing up posts taking my time and energy for nothing.  But they will not even reciprocate by a link to CBO or helping out in practical ways?

I dropped event PRs for the same reason -you should really see the awful stuff I get that is supposed to be a "press release" with bad spelling, no real info and images I have to spend a lot of time on to make usable.

I've supported and pushed UK comics since the 1970s.  Result for me -ZERO and nothing but crap.

I've heavily supported the UK Small Press since the 1970s.  Result for me -EXACTLY the same though I did expect better from Small Pressers for some reason.

What have I gotten out of CBO all these years?  Headaches, LOTS of abuse and I've wasted more time than I want to think about.  I sat down last night and realised that had I kept everything posted on CBO only in my head then it would have had the same impact: a wet feather impacting on concrete.

I know six people who read CBO and that's it. Many thousands of others I only see stats on. That is no reward after 15 years.

So, yes, I am quite willing to just stop CBO here and now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment