PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 24 April 2017

Memories...What I Just Found!

Not artwork sadly.  But I found some old photos in a book that have not been scanned before.  If I knew how to use a computer I would probably tidy them up but....

1987-1989 I lived and worked in a two berth caravan (that's smaller than most mobile lavatories local authorities use these days!). To the right, that upright white box contained the copies of some of the Fleetway/Egmont, Marvel UK, etc., scripts. Large stack to the left...artwork
Yes, that is a cast iron typewriter.  How do you think we wrote before computers and word processors??
 Above: 1990. I had finally moved into a real room in the house.  Two phones and all. Work at this time had reached a peak -Marvel UK, Fleetway, Fantagraphics/Eros and so on.
Ahh, before Photoshop (which I do not use) and all this computer mallarky we had to actually physically cut and paste items onto pages for copying. This was definitely 1990 because that is a copy of Zine Zone International no.13 I am holding.

Work 20 hours a day and don't get much sleep trying to earn meagre amounts of money from companies that rake it in....let these photos from 1992/93 teach you a lesson.

 Above: I know the pages I was working on here.  And, yes, the publisher scrappede the project after the work was submitted and refused to pay the "kill fee".
Below: At this point I really was working -writing scripts and drawing as well as putting projects together.  This was definitely not a good time and I think it shows.
 Below: 1994. A very low point.  I was still working like a maniac, had piled on weight (you might have noticed?) was ill and....yes. Yes, that is a mullet hairstyle.  I DID say it was a low point, right!
By 2003 I had recovered.  My sanity returned and the ponytail flipping hawk (I'm not joking) had shown me how dumb the hair was.  I lost the weight. And I am NOT standing on the compost heap (though that might have been a warning -?) badly taken photo. I am behind the compost heap.

Looking at these reminded me how bad comics (as well as TV work and magazine article writing) can affect you.  If I gave up now then I endured all that for nothing!

Be warned kids

No comments:

Post a Comment