PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 20 July 2018

Post Brexit is going to hit comic shops very hard.

I have to say that I was far from surprised when I got emails from three different comic shop owners after yesterday's look at the ever increasing number of book sales in the UK and Brexit.

One shop owner told me that he would "NEVER" -yes he used caps to emphasise the point to me- stock a book that did not come from one of the Big 5. After a brief exchange I discovered that he only gets a very selective few comic titles in because his customers (I won't repeat what he called them) were not just happy enough to take what was on the shelves.  Apparently, his sales were down due to customer "ignorance" and basically not being willing to spend on things they did not want to keep him in business. I made a few polite points but (despite sales falling) he told me he would stick with the Big 5 "DC or Marvel will pull something out of the hat to save our stores again!"

oh dear.

The other two  shop owners agreed with what I had written but explained they could do nothing.  There was one distributor and they would jump to another as neither was happy with Diamond -one kept referring to them as "the Mafia"- but "What can I do?"

Again, I politely made suggestions but all received negative reactions.  Why? It was all reasonable and common sense. Oh.."If Diamond found out I was taking books from Indie publishers they were not offering they might get awkward"...same from the other shop owner.

Really?  "I am going to go out of business and I can do several things to save my business but I don't want to upset Diamond"  Well, there are three businesses that may vanish next year.

You do not have to be publically identified just send a letter to the Business Secretary or/and Monopolies Commission and explain the situation. Personally, I really do not care.  These people seem to think I need to sort this all out for them.  No -not my business and I lost my patience with comic shop owners after the big CBO (WordPress) debate on this matter where a bunch of them bitched but when told what to do...skulked off.

Post Brexit is going to hit comic shops very hard...but the owners will not act.

No comments:

Post a Comment