PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Saturday 30 May 2020

I can do a 150 pages graphic novel in 3 weeks

Believe that you'll believe anything.

The ugly "want it for free" idiots are back. Seems that lockdown has inspired all those wannabe comic book writers looking for the movie deals (please either wakle up or seek psychiatric attention). Three offers to let me work for free on "big projects"....no, hang on...BIG PROJECTS that include a 150 pages graphic novel that I would "need" to complete by the end of June (4 weeks).

Details of stories?  "I'll fill you in if interested" No.

Do you klnow how I get rid of them?

"Are you paying a page rate or a lump sum for the whole project -either way 50% is payable up front so please let me know"

Silence/...well, apart from the "You blew it dude -your chance to get in one a high paying deal!"

NEVER EVER EVER WORK FOR FREE

Now, added to the comic book wannabes we have the people, knowing that I designed figures for games (24mm and 54mm) asking me to design characters for their "funded one way or the other" games. If they got their funding then they would look at what to pay me. Nope.

I even had one person ask whether I could design and create a line of super heroes for comics he wants to publish. "Sure -how much are you paying and these would be creator owned designs?" How dare I mention money -he thought I loved comics!  I do love comics but I also like living and eating food so I need money.

I will do most of the things mentioned above for payment.

In the last year I have been asked 8 times to draw graphic novels (and letter them) for nothing. No plans on who they are to be sold to or...anything. Draw 150-200 for free and then "we'll look at that".

Comics -full of crooks, snide nasty little Midlanders and idiots.

2 comments:

  1. One hundred and fifty pages by the end of June?! That would be an average of five pages composed, pencilled, inked and lettered a day, for a thirty days with no break. Were I human - even if paid to be - I think my response would be, "Go to hell".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spock- the final scene of Undiscovered Country. I think. Nice reference. And yeah. Too many chancers ut there. Got to do what you enjoy. That's No 1.

    ReplyDelete