PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 25 March 2024

Never EVER Ask Me To Advertise Your Business or Events For Free. Here Is Why


 Here are some examples of what I mean by everyone wanting to get something from CBO (me) but return no favours. No names because that gives them free publicity.  I got a Face Book message from the owner of a comic store. 

Oddly it was one I tried about 5 years ago to get some of my books into but was told (rather bluntly) that if it isn't from the main distributor it is not getting in their shop. If you have no idea I should point out that comic shop distribution in the UK is a monopoly and even though a business monopoly is supposedly illegal after 30 years no one does anything. 

The fella wanted me to give his store a mention as quite a few of his regulars mention CBO. He asked whether I would put up one of his store flyers. That is a free ad to a world wide audience of 2500-3000 visitors a day. So I asked about a reciprocal deal where I posted the flyer and he take some of my books to sell. "No. I can't do that or everyone would be asking me for that" and after that I responded: "About your free advert on CBO: No. I can't do that or everyone would be asking me for that."  

He never responded.  This fella was not the first store owner to ask this "favour" because paying for an advert where so many people would see it is expensive and I mean expensive. They want that free publicity because they want more customers. I want to sell my books because I want to earn money(they get a reduction in book price) but, no. 

One way deals. The same applies to shops who say they will take the books but five I think are the best. Free of charge and they will see how they sell at a price they set and then if they sell will order some at a price they want to pay.  If you ask for that kind of deal go 😡off. It is me paying for printing and postage so a shop has something to sell and I doubt very much they will order books and "at a price we like" is pure crap. Again, books cost money to print and post out so, no I am not ever going to do that. No wonder these people need more advertising because their business sense is non-existent or they are just "rip him off" minded.

The same applies to UK comic events where for the last decade I have been blocked from having a table to sell my books (because of bully pressure put on spineless organisers) but they want their event organised. I think it was almost 10 years ago now that I said enough was enough and I would no longer publicise UK comic events -why should I when they were stopping me from selling at the events.

The UK is dead when it comes to comics and I have no interest in helping comic shop owners keeping their businesses going or giving them £50 worth of free stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Off topic, but..... You've got a Bat / Krakos story in mind ?!? That, I really want to see ! TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was supposed to be done in 2012 after their two books but things got in the way but hopefully for 2024...

    ReplyDelete