PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 31 May 2015

Some Of These Super Heroes May Not Have Lasted Long...But They Had Impact!

Even though many do not have a single visual reference online!

I think many people have this idea that only I have published super hero books in the UK.  Well, yes, I've been doing that over thirty years so I'm the longest lasting!  But there are and were others going back to the early 1980s.

There are those out there, at a ripe old age who are about to see these covers and say one of two things:

"OH MY GOD!!"

or if you are in comics:

"******* Hell!  I forgot about this *****!"



Yes, Dave Hornsby's Apocalypse -it became a four issue (A4) comic after, forgive me if I get this wrong but we are talking 1977, Ad Astra an astronomy/science magazine.  Apocalypse's epic battle with Warlord for the fate of the Earth had a very explosive, and completely unexpected, ending!

I have no idea what Dave is doing these days but if he is out there -PLEASE reprint this as a one off book! I loved this.  I have mentioned I'm a sad old man -?

 

Now, Apocalypse is near mythical. In thirty plus years I have met no one else who admits to having ever read the comic.  I guess I just never met the right people yet!

The other 1970s British legendary comic was, again, A4, had lovely printing and good paper and I still have my A3 D-Riders poster!

Super Adventure Stories appeared in 1978 (issues 1 and 2 had no date but no. 3 is 1978) was from Third Kind Magazines, based in Hertfordshire.

D-Riders. Oh, man, if you loved weird stuff in comics -mystical, cosmic hippy trippy with a rather grubby little panda then D-Riders was for you.  Clive Boyd wrote the script and Michael-Jan Gibas took to the drawing board with this joint creation.  I really do need to get a nice frame for my D-Riders poster!
 These comics obviously had their Marvel/DC influences to a degree but Underground Comix were also, I'm guessing, an influence.  Nudity and very definitely not Comics Code Authority approved language.  I still take these out every-so-often because they are still enjoyable.

The cover above features Sons Of The Phoenix written by Michael-Jan Gibas (publisher of Third Kind Mags) and art by Stephen O'Leary  and there are some good story twists.  These guys were well ahead of Moore, Ellis and Morrison.  And here's a kicker of a next issue tag line: "Some of you...are going to die!"
Omicron was Jason Harris who was out on his motorbike, got involved in a UFO incident, grabbed an alien suit and became...oh.  I've already written it.  Script was by Stephen O'Leary and the art by Andrew Dyrdzinski though the character was created by Dyrdzinski and Gibas.

And, of course, there was the legendary, near mythical Red Dragon -the creation of one Jonathan "Jonny" Kurzman -the original publisher, based in Plymouth at the time.  To my knowledge this was the first British comic character to have the name Red Dragon.  And the story was an epic one.ending in a full issue story in SAS no. 5 (I think).



These creators were true inspirations because they took super heroes and put a British slant on them, made them grittier than any US company did.  I've tried tracking down the various creators in the past but failed -not even any photographs!

If there is one reason I want to maintain an archive and want to see it continue on when I snuff it then it is to make sure people like Dave Hornsby and the SAS crew get their rightful place in British comics history.

Into the 1980s Bath or Bristol Comic marts were not complete unless David A. Johnson had a new Blue Saviour comic out -or Enigma.  Okay, they were not the greatest drawn comics but there is one thing that actually shines through -even more so reading them decades on - FUN.

David obviously had a story to tell and comics inspired him and he had no big ideas of a mega deal with Marvel or DC.  He was having fun and if his readers enjoyed the comics....what could be better?

Even inspired Messrs Brown and Dilworth to draw Blue Saviour in Death Disco!  I still have a copy or two.

And, yes, I got involved in the Blue Saviour and Madame Mystery craze.  How? Well check out the covers and ads below and you ought to see...unless you need very strong glasses!





Spot it?  No??!! oy.


1987 and A. O. Potter's Alpha Omega Collection heroes..  I wrote about Alf back in 2011...



Peter Phillips (I hope I remembered the name (it was a long time ago) did a zine called The Super Heroes. He was 18 years old in 1986, living in Leicester and...unemployed (unusual for the 1980s!).  Aaaand, I just found the books which are A5 and, feck me I got it all right.  I need to get a woman.

The comic featuring The Liberty Rangers, which was written by him and art was by Ian Douglas -who showed some promise!  Only two issues that I know of as my letters never got replies but I hope Peter is still out there somewhere digging super heroes!



1986 was Atomic Comics of Scotland produce an A4 super hero comic -fastened inside a plastic folder (?) for some reason.  This was Captain Scotland!


In fact it was a fantasy gaming special "You Are Captain Scotland!"  The character was created and written by Tony Foster (another name I know!), Michael Duncan, Eggy Harding and Craig Conlan.  Craig Conlan also did the art chores.

That was it.  My question is: where is Captain Scotland when Scotland needs a hero, hmm??

In the mid 1990s -to be exact 1994-1994- there was CM Comics.  The owner of CM Comics was Southampton based Chris Morgan.









There seem to have been a number of titles all in the US comic format with glossy cover and pages.  There was some great art by people such as Russ Leach, who I think is fair to say had a bit of an Erik Larsen style going on. Andrew Radbourne (I am positive I've met him at a Bristol Comic Expo) did some pencil work -inked by Chris Morgan and Kelvin Cox did some layouts for Brit Force.


Not really sure why CM Comics stopped publishing but I do recall about, perhaps five years ago(?), Chris Morgan emailing me and saying CM Comics was returning.

Anyone?

A new century dawns and we have...The O Men!  created by Martin Eden -Doctor O gathers a new superteam to fight his nemesis, Anathema. But can they stop Anathema before she takes her revenge on their friends and family - and finally, on themselves?

Buy the book(s) and find out!

I have the Issue 0 from years ago but nothing else -though I have seen sample pages.  Yes: not in my collection and never ever reviewed a copy.  Someone just fainted at the back of the room again!


There is, of course, the rather fun...Spandex!  And I do mean fun.



 Then there was Sugar Glider appeared a few years ago but I think there were two books before it vanished?  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Sugar Glider was created by writer Daniel Clifford and artist Gary Bainbridge.

Set in Newcastle upon Tyne, Sugar Glider tells the story of Susie Sullivan - an 18yr old with a habit for giving up on hobbies, jobs and potential careers at a moment’s notice. Having given up on so many ‘dreams’ already in her short life, Susie is poised to drop out of college and give her mother, Brenda, an ulcer.

But Susie has a secret more likely to give Brenda a mischief; she’s gotten hold of a high-tech gliding suit and is quickly becoming attached to it. Susie’s late night crime-fighting adventures are becoming more frequent and more successful. But there’s something else about that suit - it bears a striking resemblance to the ones worn by MI5’s Vigilance super-agents. The same super-agents who are about to be rolled-out all across the UK.

 http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SGS-1-Cover.jpg

Ahh, no, I have a note and image for the final issue -number 3.  Again, never saw a copy. I'm currently trying to sort that out!



As I wrote, there are others who have tried their hands at British super heroes.  These are a few and, as stated at the start of the post, some of the important ones have no presence on the internet!

It's taken me all day of sorting through books, scanning and trying to remember half this stuff.  I hope you think it was worthwhile!

Doing a super hero comic? I'll review it.  Know of obscure ones I've not mentioned? Get in touch.

Everything is now so blurry I am calling myself....

                  BLURRY MAN!






2 comments:

  1. Hi Terry,
    I'm surprised you keep comparing them to DC and Marvel. Wouldn't a more natural comparison be to Panini and Egmont?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Darci. Hope the latest post explains why! Too long winded for a comment!

    ReplyDelete