PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Valerian and Laureline From Comic Book To Animated Series To Movie



http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp2013/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/val-1.jpg


I think that, if you've ever read Valerian and Laureline you will know why it is so loved.  In the innocent days when I read Zack comic in Germany I thought it was a German comic strip.  I got more educated when I began getting Small Press publications from Germany -particularly Zebra which had a strong connection with the creators.

Valerian and Laureline books from Cinebook The 9th Art (whom I hope take full advantage of the movie news!) I've looked at can be found here:

Heroes Of The Equinox
http://hoopercomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/cinebook-9th-art-valerian-and-laureline.html

On The False Earths
http://hoopercomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/cinebook-9th-art-valerian-7-on-false.html

Ambassador Of The Shadows
http://hoopercomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/cinebook-9th-art-valerian-laureline-6.html

Birds Of The Master
http://hoopercomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/cinebook-9th-art-valerian-laureline-5.html

The Land Without Stars
http://hoopercomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/cinebook-9th-art-valerian-laureline.html

Now, weirdly, those are all I can find on CBO though I am positive I've reviewed volumes 1-4, too.  But take a look.

 If your local comic shop doesn't stock Cinebook titles then it's a real loser shop -go somewhere with taste, but in case even your local book store has none of these books (you may well be the two comickers in Antarctica!) go to the Cinebook site:http://www.cinebook.co.uk/

There was an animated series planned for 2007 but I don't think was ever shown on English language TV -correct me if I am wrong.  I wasn't too keen on the "big eye" look but the clips I've seen were interesting.

But I have to admit that I am excited that Besson is involved with this movie project and, despite all the criticism over the years, I have always maintained that The Fifth Element will one day be seen as a classic sci-fi/fantasy movie (rather like Mystery Men ought to be recognised one day as a great comic book movie -as Raw! was a great pro wrestling spoof movie).

If anyone can make this movie and be true to Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières creations it has to be him.  All I need now is a Sub-Mariner movie!

6 comments:

  1. Wow ! At last ! The first time I saw Valerian and Laureline was in Heavy Metal magazine in, C1978. It was 'Ambassador Of The Shadows' and I thought it was wonderful. Have collected the volumes over the years and, not surprisingly, influential. Bib would have loved to have seen a film version too and we would alert each other when a new volume appeared. Annoying that it has taken so long. I really love 'Les Habitents Du Ciel', the 'cosmic atlas' of the series. Can you remember the first time that they appeared with any accuracy? I make it late sixties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First published in Pilote magazine in 1967

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad for a TARDISal memory . I had a year either way. I have some Spirou of the time period, no Pilote annoyingly . From Bib's collection again .

      Delete
  3. This sounds great and The Fifth Element was an awesome movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, its brilliant -and I need to get the dvd!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waitaminnit . Wasn't Besson involved with the absolutely brilliant Adele Blanc-Sec years ago. Now I need to get a DVD !!!

      Delete