PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 6 May 2012

Ich Bin Ein Komicker! I Really Am Running Out Of Titles.


Back in the late 1980s I was trying to interest various German comic companies to take projects that I was working on.  As a youngster in Germany I saw the out-put of Bastei, Kauka, Williams and so on but apart from Disney comics and Kauka, everything tended to be, as I later found out, Franco-Belgian with a little British and even Spanish mixed in.  Except for the Marvel reprints (oddly, I do have a few DC reprints but I never saw that many.
 
photo
 
Three characters I loved, and I don’t think that is a secret to regulars of CBO, were  Wastl der Superkraftlackl mit dem goldenen Herzen -aka “Jerome” , “Angus” etc.- from the Willy Vandersteen created Suske en Wiske.  A, uh, German super hero created by a Nederlander.
 
Then there was Mykros: Die Kampfer Der Titanen by Marcel Navarro (writer) and the fabulous Jean-Yves Mitton on art.  French.
 
photo
This was followed by Photonik again by Navarro and the artist was another great -Cyrus Tota. So, uh, French.

Prsonally, I never understood it.  Yes, kids were interested in the funny animals and Westerns -I don’t think interest in Westerns ever faded in Germany.  
 
Of course, this all led to my creating D-Gruppe: Deutschland’s Erste Superhelden Gruppe and while I was talking to a Bastei editor in…1989(?) I mentioned this and he said he had seen the strip in the TV/film/comic/fantasy fanzine Watcher , published by Stephen Dohr.  Quite a bit of my work had seen its way around German zinesters and the editor told me -Gerd Hammer calls you “The Father of German super heroes!”   Even to this day I have no idea who Gerd Hammer was (possibly someone at Bastei?).
 
I couldn’t let that go without a pitch and the first was for, obviously, D-Gruppe.  He liked the mix of super hero, sci-fi and fantasy that I put forward.  Yes, briefly, Bastei was c0nsidering publishing a German super hero comic!
 
The other pitch was for the series The Cosmic Fulcrum which I gave the rough German title of Kosmisch Stützpunkt.  This was nothing really to do with the original Black Tower Cosmic Fulcrum but a new story -this became Return Of The Gods: Twilight Of The Super Heroes  which ran in BT Adventure nos. 1-6.  And it featured an international cast including German heroes.
 
Everything was underway and by the time the first issues were done and dusted it looked all go.  Then silence.  I later learnt that Egmont had bought out Bastei and cancelled a great deal and editors were told they could not phone or write to creators -it was “wasted money” and so it all ended!
 
I thought it probably worth publishing myself as a Small Press comic but there were quite a few complications.  And no one in the comic fan community seemed interested in German super heroes…had I actually just gone ahead and ignored the negative “arties” I might have gotten somewhere as it seems the first adventure of D-Gruppe -The Revenge Of The Ice Queen- that had been published in Watcher was much photocopied and handed around, particularly in the then East Germany!
 
Of course, these days the comic would need a better translation than I could give it.  I wonder how things might have gone or developed had eith D-Gruppe or Kosmisch Stützpunkt been published by Bastei?
 
D GRUPPE 2

No comments:

Post a Comment