PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Saturday 2 May 2015

I May Not Be Back For A Good While.

Completely washed out and exhausted so I may have been a bit snappy with some people of late.

I've written about comic book geek chic and how calling yourself a "nerd" is trendy -fashionable.  So, I have had three emails from companies addressing me as "Nerdblogger" to which my response WAS snappy and I pointed out I have read comics since I was about six years old and I'm now...58(?) so I was a comicker before their parents were probably born and I'm not jumping onto the comics bandwagon as a trendy.

I got one apology and an explanation that they throw the word around so much because they publish books that are quirky and nerdy.

I note a lot -a lot- more women are jumping onto this whole "nerdster" thing.  One in a blog stated that it was her way of trying to break into "pop culture and a media career". pfah! 

That is WHY I'll watch comicbookgirl19 vlogs because she has been into the whole thing before it became trendy.  You can check out her videos on You Tube -a link on the blog roll.

Now, I do apologise but THIS is the sort of thing I'm talking about and it is so OVER THE TOP it gave me a migraine. 

You see what I mean, right?  It's like an advert for "Geek Gear".

Women into comics, my mother used to read through them, I have never seen a problem with.  Women have always read comics but it is that Big Bang Theory syndrome AGAIN: "Girls do not go into comic shops!"  And if they do, even if they are "not pretty" (WTF???) they get stared at.  I actually pointed out to several regulars in the comic shops I used to go into (I've been dry three years now) that it was good to see women not just going for Manga books.  "What women?" I was asked.  "I've not seen any in here" I'm told. The last person said that I pointed to a group of three women buying comics and he seemed taken aback!

And they are women NOT "girls".  Sorry, I came from the time when women were fighting for equal rights and to not be called "girls" (basic biology -sorry, boys, hit puberty and you are an adult).

I know, I'm writing this and no one cares.  I'm sure women read this blog but why back the old man up, right?

I am a comicker.  I am NOT a "geek" or "nerd" -my name is on University and wildlife conference technical papers FFS.

I may not be back for a looooooooooooooong time.

7 comments:

  1. Man, after watching this I´m glad I haven´t done a video blog yet. If I ever do this kind fo stuff, please shoot me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought it was a "geek" joke but then "like did you know like there is like this magazine called like Previews and you can advance order stuff from it six months, three months -well the link is below!" and I screamed -fist raised to the heavens "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY??!!!"
    Fake glasses, fake "geek/nerd" room...and those clothes -its why I thought it was a joke. Where's Wally? He's on an acid trip and and this is what it looks like. And there are lots like this because these "people" see it as the You Tube route to fame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pressed the play button . . . . . . . . what !? . . . . . %( . . . . . ! This is a person who takes pleasure in inflicting pain . My computer flashed a message . " PLEASE DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON AGAIN ! " . We now exist in mutual pain and we may have to initiate a memory removal programme whilst listening to ' Daisy ' to calm down .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah , I get it now . it's a YouTube version of a ' point of view ' gun . It projects the mental state of the antagonist - or this in this case , the creator of the video - and everybody else gets depressed .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always was one of the people who thought he´d never use the phrase " keeping it real " but after seeing this.....

    Well, at least now I can show this when my brother tells me there are ways to get lots of hits on YouTube. Apparently it means doimg something like this.

    Is it a guy or a girl ? I´m not sure. I´m also not sure if it´s really enjoying this or just stoned out of its mind. Well, who knows how long this lasts and the next fad comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, what are you on?? It's a woman! Mind you, I can see why the confusion. But it is a woman and I checked out her other videos because I didn't want to be negative over one video. I have a choice now. There are worse and they all seem to model themselves on Kids TV presenters who have had nervous breakdowns. Now, Salma Hayek does comic reviews in her Dusk To Dawn outfit I'll watch it -for the comic opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. To be honest the number of hits does not really worry me because of dyscalculus (its like dyslexia with numbers) 23 or 567 or even 34565456 are just numbers. The thing is if you do not post for your own enjoyment then stop. Feck -the feedback I get I should give up yet several thousand views a day and they don't have a thing to say? I note that when I posted the recent D-Gruppe pages the number of views from Germany peaked so that it provided enough hits to place it third top viewing country. Any "How do we buy this comic?" nah. Same with videos. I just stopped because there was no feedback and I might as well have been talking to myself. I may do more but I want better presentation and my computer and camera have been dead and repaired more times than Savage Dragon! I think in future a recorded Google+ hang out show might be an idea but looking at say German comics then maybe other subjects but like I told your brother -I need the money for a new computer first!

    ReplyDelete