PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 7 February 2019

comic Art

Hmm. Need to get these from behind the glass and make proper scans.

First is John ("Coop") Cooper's pencilled art for the cover of Comic Bits no. 2 featuring major characters he drew in his career.


A dealer once offered me £250 for this and I refused. After John's death he offered £300. Offensive.

Next is a panel from JEO -J. E Oliver one of the greatest humour strip creators to ever grace British comics.  Somewhere I have a page of transparency art he sent me.

Mike Western cover art for Comic Bits No. 1.  Again, I had two dealers offer £250 and £275 for this and -AGAIN- after Mike's death the offers went up to £300 and just over.

Terry Bave's Baby Herc and I showed this piece before and there were a couple offers but on Terry's death the offers rose like crazy. 
 The pencils for this Mike Western The Leopard from Lime Street I think I have shown. I told Mike that I was tempted to ink this but dare not. I did eventually ink over a copy he sent me of the pencils and another page of art.  He was impressed and his comments were the best for a fan to hear!

Another piece that two dealers wanted to getb their hands on -even after I pointed out that I was the inker!



I have some Donna Barr art, some other bits and pieces by less famous creators and art from the sensational Kate Glasheen; some art/posters signed by Jon Haward but despite being very strapped for cash I can't sell because these were gifts to me and I'm not an Ebay pimp.

Someone asked who I would like to have art from?  Brendan McCarthy for one -if you saw his work on Spider Fever you'll know why. Of course, I must not forget I have an original 'sketch' in a copy of Orbital (Cinebook the 9th Art) by Serge Pellé.  Steve Yeowell.  I DO have a couple pieces of Pekka A. Manninen art from Kapteeni Kuolio.

Really, to me the value goes beyond monetary.  I may have finished with UK comics and the lack of fans but I still love comics and art!

1 comment:

  1. Same here. And the stuff we have, if the artist was a friend . . need not say more except money DOES NOT buy anything. That's like selling the friendship.

    ReplyDelete