PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 28 February 2019

Welsh and Gaelic Language Comics -Where Are They?


Here is another thing I dislike. My "Uncle Cyril" -my gran's cousin was from Treorchy and used to visit once a year. He loved reading and watching Westerns and was a big Professionals fan. Old pigeon racer and had a steel plate in his head from a mine accident.

Now my gran's family -the Cases- were all over South Wales and after she died I lost contact with them as she had all the addresses and phone numbers!

Anyway, Uncle Cyril and I were watching some old British film and the Welsh in it were sneered at. They were not speaking but gargling by the sound of it. I turned to Cyril: "THAT is not Welsh...is it?" He then told me how the English had tried to stop Welsh as a language.

I had never heard of this and at school we were told Welsh had almost died out as "They find it better to speak English" -I told Cyril. "Idiot boards" he replied. It seems that when he was at school (late 1920s?) he was punished every week as he refused to stop speaking Welsh -English in lessons but school yard and outside the school if a teacher heard the kids speak their native tongue there were two things the teacher did -corporal punishment and making a child stand in a corner or wear a board around his neck that said "Idiot" one of the boards had "Idiot Welsh speaker" on it. I asked whether he stopped speaking Welsh? His reply: "I wore the board a lot!"

There was the odd comic in Welsh and my mother, German, used to watch the Welsh programmes on the TV during the 1970s (they had Asian-Indian- programmes as well which is how we got to see the Sikh Elvis!).

I could never understand why there were no Welsh language comics as they were the best way to keep the language alive through youngsters -there was a zine published in the early 1990s in Welsh but that seemed to be it.

Rambling a bit aren't I? Anyway Dalen Books came along and I'll need to find out if they are still going.

The English also tried to stop Gaelic in Scotland but -as far as I know- didn't use idiot boards. Some old lags on a building site once told me how their teachers had tried to stop them using Gaelic and how they would often respond to a teacher's question with "dirty language" and if the teacher asked what they said they would give the proper answer in English.

Like Wales there were a few Gaelic language comics but not long running.

The question has to be this: WHY are there not more comics published in Welsh or Gaelic? Is there that little interest?

Maybe a question to ask on CBO?

1 comment:

  1. Not a Scots Gaelic speaker myself but there was a TinTin Scots Gaelic version of "TinTin in Scotland" that sold very well a few years ago so there must be a market. I suspect Welsh must be have a much larger market as lots of Welsh speak their native tounge. Scots Gaelic only has about 70k users mostly in the highlands, although it is rising in the Lowlandand/ central belt as families use it as an access language for their kids to other languages ( mostly well off families though) and is also used in other countries. I think the lowlands Scots were as kean to help the English to stop Gaelic and clear the highlands of people . They succeeded in both.

    ReplyDelete