PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 1 February 2019

It's about discovering and learning.

 This has not been said to me directly because I think most people would know what my response would be.  However, there are snide little creeps out there who like making stuff up.

It seems, I hear, that I hate American comic books which is why I am 'trying to prove'  the British got there first.

I never knew.

Remember the photos of Room Oblivion and its cupboards full of boxes of American comic books? In fact, as everyone who is a regular CBO visitor ought to know: I have comics from all around the world so the idea that I dislike American comics is like the wind that comes from a botty(really, check out my Sub-Mariner, JLA and Avengers mega posts!).

Re-discovering comic history or characters that have been forgotten in the dry mold of a dusty old attic somewhere is what I like to do. Should we all stick to fake comic history like "Germany never had comics during World War 2"?  Or that the Boy's papers never carried comic strips? Or that the Franco-Belgian comic scene never had super heroes because it was beneath them?

It's about discovering and learning.

There.

3 comments:

  1. I remember you once said that you collected wireless sets/radios in your youth. Were you collecting comics at the same time or did the latter supplant the former? How well stocked were the newsagents in your area with comics both American and British, in the 60s-70s, and how, at that time, did you get your European comics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a book length response there. Once I recover I'll see if I can write a short response!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my part, I was collecting American comics however, all I could get in my area were DC. My first exposure to Marvel characters were British weeklies, firstly in The Eagle, quite some time before the Marvel Weeklies were introduced. Sorry you're still poorly.

    ReplyDelete