PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 24 March 2014

Titan Books:The Secret Service -Kinsman


The Secret Service - Kingsman

Millar & Vaughn
Art: Dave Gibbons
Full Colour
160 pp
US Trade Size
ISBN: 9781781167038
£9.99   
Available 1st April, 2014

http://titanbooks.com/the-secret-service-kingsman-6985/

Gary’s life is going nowhere. He lives in public housing with his mother and spends his nights carousing with his friends. But Gary’s Uncle Jack has taken a different path of glamour, danger and mystery. 

When Jack has to get his nephew out of trouble, their lives are going to intersect in a way neither of them could have foreseen. From Mark Millar (Kick-Ass) and Dave Gibbons (Watchmen).

Soon to be a blockbuster movie!


I would like to make it VERY clear that my garotting the postman for heavily shoving another book through the letter box had absolutely nothing to do with this book.

Firstly, despite what you might read, garotting takes a while and can be a bit noisy.  Cheese-wire is best. Quick and silent.  Nothing written on a blog can be used in evidence, right?

Now the book.....

Well, I saw "Mark Millar" and thought "swear swear swear pointless violence -same old!" The only thing that attracted me to the book was Dave Gibbons.  Most comic readers will only know Gibbons from the super hero comics though he is far, far more versatile.  He is also quite a nice man and has a good streak of humour in him.

So, we have a big time Secret Service uncle who recruits his nephew from the tough council estate -I think most readers might recognise similarities between the "rough area" depicted so well by Gibbons in the book to ones they know.

I know this was first published in Clint magazine (which I've never read) so a collected book is a wonderful thing, baby.  Titan Books have great production quality and when I received this one I thought I might be dismissive of it, even if Gibbons was involved. So?  Well, I browsed though it and then realised I was reading the book straight though...then going back to check things out again. 

Now, I generally browse through a book. Put it down and then look again later.  That I sat down and read it all in one go says a lot for the story and the great art and, I really cannot ignore him -the colour work of Angus McKie which is EXCELLENT.

I am giving away no spoilers.  I even had to select pages to ensure nothing gets given away. This is probably -remember it is only March- one of the best English language books I've received so far this year.  

VERY recommended.




No comments:

Post a Comment