PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 1 May 2015

It Was The 1980s. The Crystal Chase Was On!

It was Ben Dilworth who told me about Andrew Hope (writer of Fantomex for Marvel's Maxx line) putting together a charity comic.  Was it at the time of Live Aid (the first)?  Ben drew something but I never saw that whereas I did see the pages by the then Vigilante Vulture team of Paul Ashley Brown and Darron Northall (writer).

In fact, I was at Mr Brown's Beauley Road "apartment" and spotted the pages in a bin. So, I got and preserved them.

Even I wrote and pencilled a section of the Hope comic, though I've only found one of the battered pages so far.

What happened?

I have no idea.

Mr Dilworth, on a regular visit to Bristol, told me the whole thing was scrapped and in a phone chat, Mr Hope was "angry", "saddened" and "screeching".  I think the gist of the story was that chapter creators had messed things up?  Really not sure.

Now, I present here, Messrs. Brown and Northall's section of what I had to christen The Crystal Chase because despite trying I never found out whether it had a title!










And here, my little darlings, is a single page of the section I wrote/pencilled and Andrew Hope himself inked -"your ******* pencils are like ****** engraved lines!" he told me (yeah, I had a heavy hand!)


All artwork (c) P. A. Brown/Terry Hooper-Scharf/Andrew Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment