PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 17 November 2015

Titan Books -21st Century Tank Girl



 21st Century Tank Girl
 by Philip J. Bond (Author), Jim Mahfood (Author), Warwick Johnson-Cadwell (Author), Jonathan Edwards (Author), Craig Knowles (Author), Brett Parsons (Author), Alan C. Martin (Author), Jamie Hewlett (Author)
  • Hardcover: 112 pages
  • Publisher: Titan Books (1 Dec. 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1782766618
  • ISBN-13: 978-1782766612
  • Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 1.3 x 30.5 cm
 MAKE WAY FOR THE TANK GIRL OF THE NEW MILLENIUM!  After a break of 20 years, artist Jamie Hewlett (GORILLAZ) is leaping back on the Tank Girl wagon, re-teaming with series co-creator Alan Martin to bring you a whole new take! Featuring riotous 100% original content from Hewlett & Martin along with contributions from a host of series stalwarts and newcomers!

When I received this book I thought "Ooh. Brilliant!"  Then I had to go and open it. I still have Deadline issues and even Atom Tan zines so I was looking forward to this, albeit knowing it would be computer art these days.  But after 20 years....

Nice cover.  Hewlett -brilliant as ever.  I wish it had stopped there.

I found that this book was insulting me.  It made me angry. I almost threw it in the bin (seriously).  Why? Well, whoever told Jim Mahfood he could draw or had any artistic ability was blind.  And the fact that he was paid for the shit in this book I find insulting -anatomy...everything was just WRONG.

Warwick Johnson-Cadwell...please, I'm trying to hold back vomit here.  Jonathan Edwards...euuuuugh.

In fact, I'm going no further. Hewlett and Bond -yes.  The other "stuff" was just so bad that I'm still getting angry looking at it.  But I guess they are "young, hip, cool and trendy" in some arsehole publishers mind (who probably thinks he is hip and cool, himself).

£17.00?  Feck that.  If you really -REALLY- want to buy this go online where it is much cheaper but still an insult to true comic book artists around the world.



4 comments:

  1. I love Jamie Hewlett’s art as well. I had seen a few issues of Tank Girl in the shops with Warwick Johnson Cadwell and John Mahfoods art and wasn’t impressed at all WJCs art is more akin to what you would expect to see in an arty fashion magazine – I have not seen Jonathon Edwards art in the comic, but it looked ok what I saw online (cartoony) . I will no doubt look at the is book but won’t be buying it if it is not all Jamie’s work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Hewlett art and the other strips just....well, Mahfood has most art in the book which is what made me angry. Also, no clear credits just a scrawled signature here and there and really the book just irritated me and yet I got really excited when it arrived. Probably my state of mind but I'd say "Look through it cus it is mostly Mahfood!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never that big a fan of Jamie Hewlett´s art but I liked the TANK GIRL stuff that appeared in the german U - COMIX. I probably would not have bought this anyway since Jim Mahfood irritates me. My brother once bought a comic of his that was really bad in error but he was too lazy to send it back. I pity the fool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I reckon Mahfood could be drawing Ms Marvel now.....better not joke about that...why not? I don't care about the company any more!

    ReplyDelete