PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Saturday 26 March 2016

Hooper's Silver Age Mania! The Return!





I have, as previously noted, completed the run of Marvels West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast. I really got into the concept with the original 1984 four issue mini series. And then Marvel decided to make the series ongoing.

The time travel, evil mystical nemeses and much more made this one of my favourites.  Hey, I was an Avengers Marvelite from when I was a pudding-basin haircut away from being a member of the Beatles! I've mentioned that enough on CBO but, mann, WCA/AWC was good.

Why was it that the WCA or AWC were shut down by the founding Avengers?  Well, in an awful script/story -and some AWFUL artwork- that seemed to throw established characterisation and established Avengers history aside, it was because the WCA compound had been attacked and compromised too often.

Now, let's get this right: the established East Coast Avengers whose mansion had been infiltrated by the Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Kang, The Masters of Evil (in the classic "Siege" story-line), Ultron -so many times I forget and almost thought he was a permanent Avenger!- by the Vision (before he became an Avenger), by Black Panther before he became an Avenger, by NSA Henry Gyrich, by Man Ape...

Look, you see where I'm going with this?


A team that had been attacked, injured, imprisoned in their mansion HQ -whose mansion HQ had been wrecked and damaged so often (hey -every super hero in the Marvel universe were at Janet Van Dyne and Henry Pym's wedding but did that stop the Ringmaster and his Circus of Crime? Nope) were telling the West Coast team.....

I sat there reading this crappy story and just kept asking out loud: "WTF???!!!"
http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117763/2262722-awc3.jpg
The story and script were so damned awful that I kept pinching myself to make sure I wasn't reading comics in a nightmare.  Total, awful scheiß haufen.  

But it is interesting, when you go through your collection of Marvel Comics, that you notice writing and story-telling as well as art sharply decline at 1990/1991.  It's almost as though it's a different company. The good writers were still alive.  The good artists were still alive.  One Sal Buscema or John Buscema book was worth 20 or 30 of the new ones.  No comparison really.







 And, sadly, The Avengers volume 1 ended with #402.  Yes, things had gone down hill.  The Wasp had antennae and had become more like a dragonfly!  Tony Stark had become a murderer  in a misguided attempt to change history -seriously, it was almost as though Marvel wanted to kill their own comic books.

 

And so The Avengers died until the new Avengers vol. 2 which resulted in 11(?) issues that were so bad they then....died away.  That cover might look okay but inside....yeugh.  And when I write "Okay" I am being so sarcastic that my mouth is dry as a badgers arsch!


Then Marvel brought in Kurt Busiek and George Perez for volume 3 and things were back to the glory days until, as with the excellent Avengers Forever , Marvel thought "screw this!" and totally killed everything.  Yes, the Avengers were back with great stories and art but, Marvel tells us, Busiek moved over for the half-wit that totally buried the Avengers because he didn't think he was as good a writer. I'll have a bag of french fries with that horse-shit,please.

Where am I going with this? No idea. But I think my point is that 1990/1991 saw a huge and noticeable decline in Marvel Comics.

So, I have decided to just complete my Silver and Bronze Ages books.

I've completed Machine Man -the run started by Jack Kirby- which ran for 19 issues and each one, even after Kirby, is a joy to read.





 I've also completed my Omega the Unknown series (10 issues) and it was good to finally read the end so many people have talked about.  Not a let down!



And I have completed the 1960s-1970s run of The Sub-Mariner....a fantastic series. I just love it and the Sub-Mariner Essentials book covers the classic series from Tales To Astonish. If you are not hip here's the summary:

Ten years after the last issue of the Golden Age's Sub-Mariner Comics, the Avenging Son finally claimed a monthly feature in Tales to Astonish, the entire run of which is presented here!

Namor's on an undersea quest, braving the Seaweed Man, the Demon of the Diamonds, and other oceanic oddities for the power to protect his kingdom from his perennial would-be usurpers: Attuma, Byrrah, and Krang! But even if he reclaims his crown, Puppet Master and the Secret Empire want him as their puppet king!

Plus: Namor learns secrets of his past, but does his future lead only to...Destiny? Guest-starring Daredevil, Iron Man, and the Hulk! Collects Daredevil #7, Tales to Astonish #70-101, Tales of Suspense #80, Iron Man & Sub Mariner #1, and Sub-Mariner #1.

This was when Marvel were still slightly respecting fans and realising they were not all rich!  The Essential books filled in a lot of gaps.  Then Di$ney (Marvel) crapped on us.

I've only a few of the original Defenders series I need to get and, basically, I'll sort out others I need to complete such as Marvels The Champions featuring Hercules, Ice Man et al.  I need a good few of them!

Isn't it interesting that comic dealers were ripping off comickers by telling them that these were "HOT!!!" why? "Because there is a Sub-Mariner movie on its way!" Now, I went to source and I even posted on CBO warning against falling for this lie.  There was NO Sub-Mariner movie planned. People ignored me and....no Sub-Mariner movie.

It would have been nice to see to see issues of the Avengers in black and white from volume 1 #207 on but Marvel, like DC with DC Showcase Presents. have scrapped The Essentials line for higher priced, fewer issues in colour in hardback form. Masterworks.  

Yep, sell lots at a lower price or fewer at a higher price and "***** you fans!"


And, no, I'm not going to be ripped off with high prices: UK dealers note that I have bought three Avengers back issues from the US which, even with postage, cost less than one of them at an inflated high price from one of you. You do not want UK buyers trade **** you.

I could be getting very angry but........

No comments:

Post a Comment