PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 22 June 2012

I’ve Ordered The Headstone.

It has been a cold, wet, windy and very miserable morning. Quite suitable weather for the funeral of the British ‘Comics Industry’ I’d say.

I will not mention “the company which must not be named” cuz that’s cursed. I have put proposals together for both Panini and Egmont and been quietly and diplomatically working my way through the process -I even contacted artists to be short-listed as was requested.

I’ve had a phone call, a letter and two emails that have announced the death of professional comics in the UK.  Two artists, one of whom has spoken to editors at Panini, have let me know that Panini AND Egmont are not interested in anything new comic-wise unless it is franchise related -TV, film, toy.

“I still hold out hope!” I shouted to a rather surprised Hidey-the-Cat.

Then I opened the letter: Panini is not looking for anything new only projects associated with a commercial franchise” -I dribbled my coffee. At least that’s my excuse for the wet trousers.

An email…uh, Egmont…ditto.

I phoned the nice enough fellow I’d been in contact with and asked how “set in stone” this was? “We don’t do comics -we publish magazines.”  On top of a certain Scottish company that must not be named because of the curse stating it was NOT touching serious strips only the usual lame humour strips this is indeed notification that the professional comic in the UK is dead. Dead and buried a while ago but no one really telling us.

The ramifications for those in the UK now wanting to get into comics as a profession is clear. You cannot in the UK.  Try the US…but there are many thousand creators from the US and other parts of the world trying too. You have a far better chance of surviving the ebola virus than you do of getting a professional paying gig in comics.

This could be debated long and hard and to be honest, I’ve been warning of this on CBO and elsewhere for years now and all the negativity thrown back at me for doing so now makes certain individuals look like real ass-holes.  CBO will not debate this. No point. Too late.

What I hope it might mean is that creators might get together/individually publish their own books for which they will take full responsibility from putting together, editing and then promoting/selling their comics.

There is no positive side for the UK professional in this. And there are gathering storm clouds over Dundee if we are to believe the rumours. With Dandy about to be cancelled.

Sorry I missed you guys at the funeral…you were invited.

I just wish I'd gotten it all wrong. :-(

4 comments:

  1. It all started with IPC selling its Youth Group to Maxwell - it's been a long, slow decline ever since. There is no comics 'industry' in this country any longer - what survives is on the scale of a car boot sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the reaction so far? Just your response. I have contacted the two artists who confirmed this death of comics and their reactions? "well, not a lot we can do about it. Just have to take what work we can when we can."
    Now companies can start offering very low pay to desperate artists who don't care. I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I ought to point out that when I had lunch with Maxwell, he wanted to publish a series of comic titles -bring back old ones. However, editors at Fleetway told him that would be financial suicide. So he dropped the idea. I was proudly told by one editor that this decision was made after he and another guy spoke to Maxwell's people and stated "new comics are not supportable"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I briefly spoke to one of the Maxwell brothers once, but he wasn't interested in the comics side in the slightest. Having freelanced for IPC before, during and after the hand-over, I found that things really got worse after Maxwell (then Egmont) took over. John Sanders wanted to launch a football comic (I think a dummy was even produced), but the rug was pulled from under him at the last moment. I saw him on the day and he looked absolutely gutted (not to mention blootered). Freelancers, who had previously been paid for their work on acceptance, were now only paid on approval, which meant delays of months before seeing any money. And comic after comic soon started to fold once IPC were no longer in the picture.

    Sadly, without IPC, the writing was on the wall.

    ReplyDelete