PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 11 October 2013

The Nicole Damon Interview

Nicole Damon was CBOs favourite fantasy model and it occurred to me that many readers here will not have seen the opriginal interview with Nicole or know much about her!

Also, Halloween is coming up so I really wanted to republish Berin Uriegas' "Making of the Halloween Pumpkin Massacre" so...have a treat on me!
_______________________________________________________________________________


nicolejimbalent.jpg
above:Nicole with Jim Balent (Broadsword Comics)


So,how do you find out more about CBOs favourite fantasy model without sounding creepy?  You do an interview!  I wanted to put humorous captions under some photographs but I thought “why?”
Learn more about Nicole and remember to check out her My Space site!

http://www.myspace.com/officialnicoledamon

The Interview..

Terry: Nicole,you live in San Antonio,Texas –have you lived there all your life?
Nicole:  Yes! Born and raised in San Antonio Texas!
Terry:And educated in Texas?
Nicole:  Yep, High School and College in Texas. I studied Law and Psychology.  I have a degree as a Paralegal.  Although, never used it!  These subjects have always interested me.
Terry: So the question has to be what you intended on doing for a career?
Nicole:  Since the very first time I set foot on stage and looked into a spotlight (at the age of 5) I wanted to be a dancer.  Actually, a few years later, I wanted to attend Julliard School of Dance.
Terry: I assume, correct me if I’m wrong, that you have always been into some keep-fit regime or sport to keep fit?
Nicole:  Yes, I have always been involved in some sort of dance, or workout routine.  I am always moving.  I like to keep in shape.  Which is good, because I sorta have to! 

nicolerest-in-pieces.jpg


Terry: Not sure whether this is going to be a big leap forward or not but at what point did you decide to get into professional dancing –what was your first break there?
Nicole:  Well, I had always been a part of a dance troupe of some sort. I was on the dance team while in high school, but it was quite boring.  Then I discovered belly dance classes!  I attended classes, and workshops, eventually joining a belly dance troupe.  It was a lot of fun travelling around and performing.  I love the music.  However, I still had a need for something more.  I was too limited under the direction and choreography of the troupe.  So, I went out on my own and discovered exotic dance.  With this type of dance form, I was able to express myself without limitations.
This allowed me to incorporate the past years of dance training especially the sensual and controlled moves of belly dance in my performances.

Terry: It’s been at least 27 years since I walked into a night club with dancers but I found it awful the way a lot of the patrons treated the dancers [though they had good security and a couple of the girls were good punchers!].  Have you ever had to face the “audience jerk”?
Nicole:  Nope.  Although, I was always there for the thrill of the stage.  I would dance my @$$ off.  Most of the time leaving with bruises up and down my legs and shins from dropping to the floor so hard.  I looked like Nancy Carrigan when I left!
cat_nicole_by_lorenzo_dimauro_by_nicoledamon.jpg


Terry: Now, when the term “exotic dancer” is used the usual little minds immediately think “stripper” but that’s not always the case and you also perform belly-dancing [or what those in the Middle East call “Turkish dancing”];how did you get into that?

Nicole:  I love the drum beat.  I absolutely love music.  My Mom owned a bar while she was pregnant with me, and would always play rock-n-roll.  Real rock-n-roll, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Elvis, etc.  Well, I was born behind the bar.  So, I never had a chance.  Music runs through my veins!
Terry: To sort out any confusion –how did you go from dancing and get into modelling?
Nicole:  I am actually a very shy person, so my dance and modelling are expressions of my emotions and passion.  I guess my modelling began with a few promo shots for my belly dancing portfolio.  It just went from there.  I had ideas and luckily had photographers that liked working with me and were open to various themes.

damonzombie1.jpg


Terry: Was moving to modelling a bit scary –and can you recall your first job as a model –you’re young: of course you can!!

Nicole:  My Mom used to drag me to all the open modelling calls as a kid, because of my height.  I never liked it, I would have much rather been at a dance audition.  The first modelling job that comes to mind is one for a photographer’s workshop.  That was a bit scary.  Around 6-7 photographers all taking shots at once!  
Terry: So how did your career as a model develop –there must have been some particular job that got you noticed and you are in the Top Ten Fantasy models?
Nicole:  I thank my dear friend Lorenzo Sperlonga for taking that chance!  My first fantasy art piece was created by him titled “Nicole Damon”.  It was for the Robert Bane Gallery.  I am also very proud to say I was Lorenzo’s first American model!

damonwitch002.jpg

Terry: You have worked with some of the top artists such as Greg Hildebrandt and we’ve seen his images using you as a model as well as those of other artists.  Is there one particular artist you love to work with –or is that a career prejudicing question?!
Nicole:  I love them ALL.  I am so very intrigued and captivated by their amazing talents!  It is just unbelievable how gifted each artist is.  I know and absolutely believe that art is an extension of the artist’ soul.  And I am so very, very honoured to be a part of their world and amongst their creations.  I cherish each and every piece!
Terry: You also seem to have a big interest in classical cars –which has been combined with work.  Ever get to drive any of those cars; and what do you drive on a daily basis?
Nicole:  I drive my hot red Stang!  I love my Mustang!  I have tried to get one of those bad boys off the showroom floor, but I keep getting caught!  But one day….
I’ll be just a puff of smoke!  

damonwitch0011.jpg


Terry: What sort of music do you like to listen to when you want to relax?
Nicole:  I still have to have a drum beat, even when I am relaxing.  I really like Jeff Martin, The Armada, Solace, The Tea Party.  And Barry Manilow!

damonvampire0011.jpg

Terry: And book-wise?
Nicole:  I like history books, autobiographies, books about archaeology and lost cities.  
happyhalloween.jpg

Terry: outside of modelling and dancing what interests you other than classic cars –I know swords are involved somewhere?!
Nicole:  I LOVE swords, and ancient weapons.  I love armour, knightsJ, medieval items, skulls, and anything Celtic.  I collect dragons.
Terry: Any big modelling projects coming up –when is Gina King going to use you as a model?!
Nicole:  I don’t think I have captured Gina’s interest just yet, although, I love a challenge.  Hopefully she will notice me soon!  She is awesome!
I am extremely excited to be the first model invited to the IlluXCon Symposium!  I believe I will be working with Larry Elmore during his demonstration and discussion on “Drawing The Female Form” He is an awesome artist.

newmorgue1.jpg

Terry: Last of the dumb questions coming up –once the curse of trying to get your web-site up and running is out of the way, what projects have you planned; I think you mentioned a DVD at some point?

Nicole:  Yes, the gerbil is always on the wheel and running.  Sometimes the squeaking drives me crazy.  I have several dvd ideas that have yet to come into fruition.  I have a few fashion designs, and shoe designs that I have been working on. And, also a purse design.  Not sure when all this will actually fall into place.  Maybe another trip to my Curandero is in order.

newdarcey1.jpg


Terry: Nicole, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions and let us know when they begin to decide who the top Fantasy Model is in 2010…I’ll petition to make you Number One!
Thank you Terry!  I appreciate your time and support!  And thanks to everyone that has read this interview!  
Rock-n-Roll,
Nicole~

newsamhain10a.jpg








the_chitraka_by_dorian_by_nicoledamon.jpg 

 And to keep the Damon thing going....

Making Of The Halloween Pumpkin Massacre!

nicolerest-in-pieces.jpg

It was back in January of this year [that long ago?!] that I wrote a piece about the above poster by Berin Uriegas and featuring CBOs favourite Top Ten Fantasy model [should be #1!] Nicole Damon.  But all through this Halloween month you’ll be seeing some “scarey” images of Nicole to help us warm up for All Hallow’s Eve -or Halloween if you prefer!

But I wondered what the concept was behind the poster and when I asked Nicole and Berin forwarded some great items -the initial model photo,a rough sketch,finalised sketch and a wmv!
The finished poster is still available from Berin Uriegas via his website at:

http://www.berinu.com/

It is also on show at the Annual Halloween Art Exhibit over at:

http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=92

But I asked Berin how he got inspired to do the painting:

“Let me start off by saying that Nicole is one of my favorite muses, and one of my favorite people to boot.  We started collaborating a couple of years ago and “Rest In Pieces” was our first project.  It is also, arguably, our most successful one to date.

The concept for the piece was basically derived from our shared love of Halloween.  We wanted to do a holiday piece and this seemed like a fun one to do.  The concept is a play on the ubiquitous “R.I.P.” so often seen on comic book gravestones and the delicious fact that pumpkin innards look so wonderfully disgusting.  The way I see the story unfolding is something like this:

Halloween Jack is on the prowl when he spies a fair maiden out and about after dark.  Thinking he has found a perfect victim, he uses is charms to lure her into dark and secluded graveyard.  Once alone he inches closer and closer to her; towering over her, leering with a menacing grin.  His eyes aglow with fiendish delight, his body quivers with anticipation.  He is ready to make his move.

When suddenly, out of nowhere, that sweet, innocent maiden pulls out a hatchet and bashes in his skull.  She just grinds him into the ground; smashing in his great, big, pumpkin head until his brains ooze out in big glop of pulp and seeds.

“So long Jack,” she says, licking the ick off her fingers, “Rest in Pieces.”
Any way that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Happy Halloween,
Berin”

Okay. I ain’t gonna argue. So now onto the process.  Firstly,below,the model photo image Berin worked from featuring Nicole.


nicolehalloweenpumpkinmassacre.jpg
Next,the initial sketch based on the photograph:
1-rest-in-pieces-comp.jpg
Next comes the final sketch indicating pose,what the character is doing,etc.  This leads on to working on what will be the finished art using Digital Painting done in Painter X and Photoshop,as seen at top of this item.
2-rest-in-pieces-comp.jpg
Below the link to a 35 second movie showing the work in progress.  Very nifty and I’d like to see other artists try this.  Watch it in Realplayer or Quicktime.

rest-in-pieces_0001.wmv

My sincere thanks to Nicole who did a lot of the running around for this and to Berin for the sketches/insight.  Now:GO BUY THE POSTER!

Berin Uriegas

http://berinu.daportfolio.com/

Nicole Damon

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThisIsNicoleDamon

On Deviant Art
http://nicoledamon.deviantart.com/

Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/nicole.damon.5

No comments:

Post a Comment