PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 19 September 2014

NO Event Is "Exempted"

Comic Event Organisers Please Take Note!

I think the time has come to put a stop to absolute freebie advertising of events. CBO gets thousands of hits per day and comic event news are amongst the most popular items.  However, I am quite willing to sacrifice those views.

Do I get invited as a guest to these events? NO!
Do I ever get offered a table at these events for the promotional work I put in for them?  NO!
Do I ever succeed in getting a table at these events? NO!

What do I get out of all the work I put in for these UK events?  Absolutely nothing.  Organisers seem to think they are doing me a favour by deeming to grace me with their press releases.

No. It stops.  Time for me to be 'selfish' -I'm a person who publishes -biggest publisher of Independent comics in the UK.  Yes, but I don't know so-and-so.  I get invited to vote in the Harvey Awards and others -and I get invitations from outside the UK.

All my years promoting UK comics, the Small Press, my work, my publishing means nothing to a convention organiser which, let's put it mildly, is a bloody outright insult.  So why should their events mean anything to me?

From now on there are no more freebies -and please don't say you never saw this posting as its going out to you by mail also.  £20.00 a posting of a Press Release from an event organiser or you can pay £50.00 each year to have all your PRs on site rather than individual charges.

That's it.

2 comments:

  1. So does that mean you're only now promoting shows if they give you a free table or free entry? Or are you interested in paying for a table if you're invited to do so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I do a lot of promotional work for a show then, as with Bristol events, I'd at least expect a guest pass. I do far more than you see on CBO -and the events benefit greatly. Free table? No. Free entry as a guest is perfectly acceptable in every industry and Mike Allwood appreciated all the work done -and the after show publicity also helps! What I object to is that events get all the publicity and how many say "Thank you"? So far, only Mike at the old Bristol Expo. I applied for and PAY for tables at the Bristol Comics & Zine Fair, the Bristol International Book and Comic Expo and, hopefully, the Bath Comics and Sci Fi weekend. When organisers pester and ask for all their news to be popsted -which I do free of charge- but then I ask if I can book a table and they say "No. All gone" when they have only JUST announced they are open for bookings then that is sheer rudeness and ingratitude. I've even offered to pay for a small table in a corner. No. Then I hear from people that they have JUST booked tables after I've been told there are none......I believe in paying for a table. But after 14 years of being messed around I think its time to call it an end. Event news is seen by thousands a day so its not "just a blog".

    ReplyDelete