PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 12 February 2024

Marvel Comics. I Spent My Money And Cried

Miracleman Silver Age has ended (finally) with issue 7. It started in 2022 and it's come to an end in 2024. As I have said from the outset the art is wonderful. Love it. 

 The story? It stinks like a bucket full of manure. All the tropes were there with Dicky having been sent to an orphanage in the 1940s where he was used by a high level child molesting ring -hey if you are going to use a debunked claim for a story then use it even if it was telegraphed what was going top happen.

Hey, Miracleman "came on" to Dicky (Marvel Boy) and that led to...a very....boring....sorry I fell asleep thinking about it. So how did the series end? It didn't. Apparently we have to wait for Miracleman Dark Age. I do not think so.

Art 10/10 story 5/10

I did say that I really enjoyed Alpha Flight when it appeared and that's true and each issue I read even though I thought the art was getting sloppy in places and I read issue 5 and... there was no pay off., It was almost as though someone got tired of writing the story. 

You guessed; another "ending" that was just lazy and really I am not going to get caught out like this with Marvel again.

Now another title I started and said was enjoyable was The Uncanny Avengers. Again, the art seemed to get sloppy at times but it was still not that bad.  I read issue 5  and prepared for the big showdown or a cliff hanger ending and got....

Another lack of interest ending. Seriously, either the series was not selling so got cancelled and had to have an 'ending' so we got "Never The End".


Just what the hell is going on? Lack lustre writing that takes a reader into a story with no end -is this the new "Marvel Way"? Miracleman was just blah blah blah mediocrity with great art -the art cannot be faulted. And a no end climax. Would I live long enough to see the next 'book' start and finish because I am definitely going to be saving money by not buying. Especially the way this series was scheduled ("schedule" is me being sarcastic).

Uncanny Avengers and Alpha Flight are also going to be ignored in future. I assume Marvel is going to have another reboot?  Every 10 issues it's a new #1 and at least 6-12 (seriously) variant covers and more effort is put into getting variant covers than putting together good stories with a beginning, a middle and an end.



Oh, and I was expecting something good with the new Sentry and the first issue was not great as the whole 'plot' was revealed and issue 2 made me decide that I was stopping there. The 'plot' is simple -have you ever watched the movie Highlander? you know where one immortal has to kill another to gain their power/force? Well, the Sentry force is divided amongst various individuals and one of them decides to go off and kill the others to get their power.   No joke that is what the House that used to have ideas has come up with....following on from all of last year's news that there was a reboot of Highlander on its way.

Money wasted. 

Lesson learnt and Marvel really needs to get a real editor in -Jim Shooter available?



 

2 comments:

  1. Comics need to think about short ( six issue ? ) limited series that have A POINT to them being made.....I'm very made my share of bad stories (usually. 1 page ) but this is sad.... good art ( sometimes ) wasted on .... What ?? Ah well... TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the reason why I never publish anything in parts unless I have all of the parts completed. I could have published The Green Skies vol 1 then gone on to work on vol 2 BUT I drew the entire thing before publishing so that no one had to wait months or...two years which is unacceptable from a publisher such as Marvel. Look at Camelot 3000 and how long that took to complete 1982-1985 ands by the end most people had stopped waiting and moved on. No publication should go to print as a limited series until EVERY part is completed and in the publisher's hands. With Miracleman the excited wait for the series was slapped down pretty quickly by the story (nicknamed "Miracleman: The Yawning"). Great art is okay but story has to be of interest to readers...wonder what the sales were like?

    ReplyDelete