PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 25 February 2024

MLJ/Radio Comics?Archie and Red Circle

Bristol Book Centre on Gloucester Road, Bristol in the 1970s was a place full of old pulp books but also a modest comic collection. The place was run by a rather eccentric American lady who was once an opera singer (and, yes, she demonstrated her voice once or twice). It was here that I saw and fell in love with characters in comics published by Archie (Radio Comics/MLJ).

Sadly, I never got to write a series with any of them!


I have a full run of the 1960s Mighty Crusaders and a few other Radio Comics titles that popped up.

I posted about MLJ/Radio Comics reprints in the Alan Class line here:

https://hoopercomicart.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-mlj-guys-at-class-groovy.html

And, of course, my all time favourite 1960s story Too Many Super Heroes here:

https://hoopercomicart.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-return-of-too-many-super-heroes.html

I have a full run of the 1980s Red Circle Comics until some idiot messed up there and, I think, all of the DC Comics iterations of the characters when on loan!  

The books above are The Shield Golden Age reprints; The Fly reprints and some of the modern Archies in trade. Sadly, neither of the local comic shops in Bristol (UK) were willing to order the titles so I need to check at some point what I am missing -is Archie still publishing the characters in new stories?

Anyway...those trades are calling me for some 0145hrs reading and eye-strain.

No comments:

Post a Comment