PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 2 September 2014

I Have A "Few" Comics

A young woman, while discussing comics, pointed out to me that I was "quite spoilt for choice" I think she was probably right!

I have a lot of comic scans on disc -French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Russian, Chinese -lots of Chinese manhua!- and more.  And my physical collection is just as varied: French, German, Nederlands, Belgian, Italian, Finnish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Australian, New Zealand, Czech, Slovakian, Hungarian...quite a lot and please do not get me started on the books stolen over the years!

English language...lots!  I know I mentioned Australia and New Zealand above but I was referring to country of origin, not language.  American comics, of course and the bulk I have on disc are Golden Age because, apart from the Centaur black and white collection I did, I don't think anyone else publishes collections from the long gone companies?  And Silver Age.  Yes, quite a few and I really want to get complete runs of certain series such as The Sub-Mariner (and I am almost there) that I really like.  Obscure 1960s publishers...yes. Even obscure 1970s-1990s publishers!

Modern era, well, certainly not Marvel or DC and to be honest not much gets me excited these days.

Independent comics and books -far more than "a few"!  As for Small Press I do have non-UK collections but my collection from 1970s-1990s constitute two huge piles that I've just catalogued and now need to store safely.

Like my music -everything from Classical to Punk and German Schlager, Italo Pop/Disco, French and so on- I do like a variety.

Now you can probably guess why so many people/researchers as well as companies contact me as what they like to term "a knowledgeable authority on international comics" -boosting the ego before the tag line of "We can't pay you..." HAH! I put an end to that.

In the United States or even Europe I'd probably be getting steady paid work -maybe even editing books for a company- but the UK? Nothing.  People have made Wikipedia entries on me under British comics and the British Small Press....they seemed shocked that those entries are removed within a day or two. Perhaps I ought to have gone the brown-nose route or even continuously just published "pot-boiler" books on comics using the work of others free of charge as "examples". Hmm?

At least in US and European data bases -Lambiek et al- I have recognition.

I am open to paying work offers you know!

And I do so love the 'joke' emails such as "Did you come to the Melksham Comic Con?" (amongst others) because they want to see your photos, blog posts and reviews of the events. I trash these messages.  "Why, Terry?"   Well: (1) I was NEVER invited.  (2) I never "won" a table there as a trader and (3) these people only contact me when THEY want something. Everything else it's silence or "**** off. We can't publicise your books or mention you! Just give US publicity!"

Meandering post for a meandering Tuesday....now I need to go chase the sparrowhawk off!

No comments:

Post a Comment