PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Saturday 5 December 2015

What A Fashionable Young Man....What Happened?? Up-date

Above...yep.  That's me with the pointy winklepicker type shoes.  That's Lassie 1 and my brother -who is reading a black and white comic I had purchased at Jarman's in Mina Road, St. Werburgh's.  This must be around 1967/68.

The comic had a strip in which a greedy man had molten gold poured down his throat.  Never sure if it was an Eerie reprint or not.  Unlike The Purple Hood and The Adventures of Mark Tyme, this comic never survived any of the family moves after Sevier Street then Southmead.

Pity.

And, yes, that is an aluminium bath upon the wall- no indoor bathroom.  Baths were in the kitchen. And the toilet was an outdoor one.

Sevier Street is where a lot of my mysteries solving began.  I'd go back and scream: "Kid -GET A LIFE!!!"

Up-dated....or whatever.
A much earlier photo of me eating ice cream sat next to Ma in Sevier Street.  The photo was taken by Mrs Bray -her husband was a taxi driver.  They had a son,John.  No idea where they are.

You can see the bath tub and kitchen doorway and to the left the blue coal shed door.  Toilet shed is out of view!

That "pudding basin haircut...The Beatles have a lot to answer for!

6 comments:

  1. Fortunately we had the bathroom added in '57, when all the water was put in. Before that it was the same as you, with an outside toilet and the water was heated in a copper in an outbuilding which, since the whole house was part of a rectory property, used to serve as their laundry. The water sourced from an adjacent well pump. With the soakaway being placed nearby in '57, the well was obviously afunct. What was I reading at the time? TV Comic for Patrick Troughton's Doctor Who and The Avengers and the soon to be discontinued The Eagle. My first discontinuation in April 1969. Then the landing on the moon in June. But in Oct, a far worse discontinuation and one that sticks in my heart to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad would do my haircut, but after he passed away it was a barbers behind the tobacconist. There was a small black and white television in the corner and in the summer he would have the cricket on. So in 1970 the haircut was about 15-20p. Saturday afternoons, ice cream which we would take to my Godmothers and enjoy outside. In the winter, Rum cakes. back home for tea and Doctor Who with Jon Pertwee. We had an Aston 10 and my job in the morning was to set it up for the afternoon. sacks on the bonnet had been overnight in the winter and a little flying saucer shaped paraffin heater underneath. All the tyres checked for pressure or pumped up with the foot pump to 28 - I think - it was forty five years ago you know. Time fades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother had the same perm as my mother at that time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum isn't in this photo....that's my gran -"Ma" we all called her. Grand dad was Bill. Mum was...."Mum"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh right. My mum used to get that perm from a little place in Ipswich. I remember sitting there, not exactly bored, but wishing I was somewhere else and mum said " go and get yourself something to read " so I popped through St Stephens as a shortcut to a newsagents and bought myself the Thor Marvel Treasury Edition 'The Hammer And The Holocaust'. That was the first time I had seen Jack Kirby BIG ! that when I really realized the scale and sculptural immensity of his work. So since they weren't available locally to me, a visit to the hairdressers meant one thing. See if I could find another one.

      Delete