PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Who Guessed A Poppy Could Be Such Fun??


poppy
POPPY
David Gordon
MyExcess
A5
Paperback
Black & White
40 Pages
£4.00
The first volume of Poppy strips from Dave Gordon, including the first part of his Alice in Fetishland graphic novel starring the cast of Poppy.
Available from:

Well, this arrived on a bad day. That said, I did enjoy it. The wee Scots bastid’s art work is getting better and he really can draw women! I thought how the character, Poppy, got her job in a games store was quite amusing but there are some great Poppy-staff exchanges not to mention customer encounters (which I am informed are based on real incidents).
LOVED “Staple Diet”. Uh…”Special”….yes. I’ve met the type of person depicted. “GTA? GTF!!” -again, seen these types in game shops and as I VERY rarely go through a game shop I’m guessing there must be a LOT of them.  ”Soooo Good”….well, I started thinking “dirty little—” until I turned the page!!
I soooo understand “Really?” and “What?”…I think most comickers will.  ”Rolling” and “Tattoo” I laughed out loud to. I think its the new tablets but “Tattoo” -LOVE it! :-)
As for “Alice In Fetishland” –this should be in full colour and published by some European company. It’s far too good for British comic readers (who screamed??). And there is a lovely photo back cover of some of Dave’s Changeling dolls reading…Poppy and Changelings -what else?!
With Changelings I was stupidly surprised at the quality of story and art though I have no idea why. Maybe it’s because Dave has just said “**** it!” and decided to write and draw what he likes and wants to.  Poppy is pure fun and well observed and written as well as drawn.  For ***** sake -this man should be pulling in a good paycheque drawing comics and he’s stuck to his work despite all the utter crap he’s gotten.
This is a very enjoyable and highly recommended comic. You don’t grab a comic soon don’t bleat on about how you missed out. If this does not raise a smile or belly laugh or even a muttered “too true” I give up.
Now, I’ve just put on my shoes for sitting down so I’ll end here.

No comments:

Post a Comment