PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 10 July 2015

NEVER Ever Buy This!

Wilko Functional 14.4V Cordless R.Drilll
Above: this is what total crap looks like.


Totally off comic topic but in case you need to buy a drill for DIY work or put stuff together for an event please read this.

Okay, apparently Wilkinson's -a national chain store in the UK- do not want to answer any emails on this matter but I would like to warn any friends out there -and PLEASE share this. I purchased a Wilko cordless drill over a week ago. Battery charged, but the adapter seemed hot but they always tend to. Worked a treat and put it on top recharge and after 4 hours...no charge.

I then realised that there was a smell to the battery charger -if you are old enough to have fired a toy cap gun you'll know the sulphury smell I mean. Checked and double-checked...then I found my receipt had been thrown out -no, that person is still alive. So I asked at their local store because I could not see a battery charger just the boxed drill and a new replacement battery. 

Talking to three of the most unhelpful staff I've come across, I got:

"We only sell the drill and battery -try shopping round"

"We have the triple A and double A chargers -we don't know anything about this stuff"

and, wonderfully, but quite right (so I deserved it)  but I assumed I was buying a quality product: "You should have bought one of the better drills like Bosch"

So, no, like Argos, they sell battery and drill but NOT charger. That is a level of incompetence that seems rife in UK stores.

I looked online and found a charger that's compatible -£12.50...but the postage from all the sellers is the same so the total is MORE than the drill.

It now looks like I'll need to buy a Wickes cordless but check that they do sell chargers, though builders tell me Wickes tools are good quality.

NEVER EVER buy electrical goods from Wilkinsons -I should have learnt after the last one!

3 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I was just thinking, a week ago, about getting a recharge drill. Thanks for the warning. I'd go for something like Bosch myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know , thanks as I am doing some DIY at the moment and have bought a few items in the local Wilkinsons. A few years ago I got a similar model from B&Q (I can't recall the brand but it was about £30) and whilst it recharged fine it had so little power (when fully charged) it was less than useless I spent nearly 10 mins seeing if it could but a 1/2 inch screw in a piece of hardboard type wood - it only got half way there by the time the battery started to slow down. I gave it to may mate who creates models as a hobby from wood etc and he finds its ok for that. I ended up just buying a Stanley Yankee screwdriver for £17 (in a sale) and it works a treat,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Paul. Yeah, Bosch are a bit too pricy for DIY every-so-often but as they still refuse to reply it looks like the Wickes drill for me. Considering I gave up with no power in the drill after ten minutes I sympathise. Too much being bought too cheaply from China for a big profit and how these chargers get passed I've no idea!

    ReplyDelete