PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 25 June 2023

So now you know!

 

A few things that I need to explain as it often confuses readers.

Any book submitted is reviewed. Whether a "proper comic" or small press zine. I make no distinction and I do not judge small press books by professional comics -they are two totally different things.

Next; there are people I actually hate for very justifiable reasons. However, books with their work in are reviewed without bias -in fact some received very good reviews. People do not understand how I can do that. Well, bitching, back-biting and being 100% negative about anything and everything is an invention of the internet. I adopt a professional stance so judge books by the work not the person who wrote or drew it. At this point, if you followed CBO from its Yahoo 360, WordPress and FreeServers days you will be aware that there is one comic writer (who was personally insulting as well as being insulting toward the artists working on his books who he felt did not deserve praise)  who has a lifelong ban from CBO (no, obviously it is not Alan Moore).

People do not agree with my reviews. Well, none have said so in comments though two have contacted me in the past and felt that I was too harsh on their books.  As it turns out both later republished their books taking my advice (long story) and one contacted me again after the changes were made to say that his books had actually sold copies. 

I get books -whether zines, comics or comic albums- and there are occasions when I think "Yeugh!" but I then put those books to one side and will read over a second time. On occasions I will re-read a book three times before reviewing. I make it quite clear that I do not personally like a certain art style but that I know others do like the style. Reviews are personal things so if I were to keep writing "Wonderful art. Incredible writing. Brilliant" then I would not be honest. Love a lot of the Hexagon Comics and Cinebook titles but there are some that have styles I am not keen on -and I write so.

I am reminded of  the best review I ever gave a small press comic which was the worst drawn I had seen, however, every page was clearly written and drawn with love and and this made reading it fun. Yes, fun -what comics should be. One day I need to find the issue of Comics World that review was in.

Now to terminology. Zines are self published comics or mages and they can be A5 or A4 in size.

Comics we all know and depends on the publisher, size and format. The main comic size is US Comic Size which has slightly altered over the years.

Comic Albums were common in Europe and there were some in the UK and these are comics of A4 size (some times slightly smaller) and with 48-80 0r 90 pages.

Graphic Novels are generally US trade paperback size so US comics size and page counts are 100 plus pages. Black Tower graphic novels are A4 and contain 130-300+ pages.

So now you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment