Authors: by Pierre Boisserie and Philippe Guillaume; Illustrated by Julien Maffre
Age: 15 years and up
Size: 21.7 x 28.7 cm
Number of pages: 56 colour pages
£10.99
ISBN: 9781800441903
https://www.cinebook.co.uk/bank-barons-accounts-p-4606.html
1857. It has been five years since Baron Haussmann began his colossal endeavour: remodelling Paris into a modern capital. The city is at the centre of such a storm of real estate speculation that not every means employed to ensure the success of an investment stays within the confines of the law.
In the middle of this financial free-for-all, a new generation of Saint-Huberts will clash, the children of Charlotte and those of Christian, two branches seemingly unable to escape the hatred the sister and the brother have for each other.
Volume 2 was out last December (2025) which is why I could not remember what was going on. I checked the stats to find when volume 2 came out and realised that people are not just checking Cinebook title reviews for 2025 but going back as far as 2020. In quite high numbers, too. Anyway, uh, yeah. Oh tright. Review.
"I don't want to go. I don't want to be a stokebroker like father" Hey, kid: "I don't want to go to school cuz they are all morons" never got someone out of school so excuse me if I laugh out loud!
I tend to find wordy books boring but this one was fun as it is not just wordy! We have murders! We have sex! We have corruption! No Trumps in sight! ahem. Anyhow, the does-not-want-to-be-a-stockbroker -or "The rag doll"-has a few twists and turns to navigate until he finally takes the step that makes him a stock broker. Never saw that coming!
The story is interesting and has more to it than I tyhought it mightr. The art is good and the colour work by Delf is atmospheric. I think people tend to forget the colourists and just see the artist's name. Colourists do a great deal and can even cover up imperfections in art. So if you want a break from men and women in gaudy costumes, from horror or sci fi then The Bank ought to suit you.
I need to find volumes 1 and 2 and remember what happened!
No comments:
Post a Comment