Total Pageviews

Translate

Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Hexagon comics:The End of the Partisans

 

 

7x10 squarebound trade paperback,

88 p.

b&w

ISBN-13: 978-1-64932-491-7; US$15.95

 

Story by  Jean-Marc Lofficier; art & cover by Mario Guevara

1945. World War II is over, but a new, even more terrible conflict is about to erupt.

From San Francisco to Borneo, via London, Paris, Senegal, the Caucasus, and Iraq, the Partisans are forced to return to service, risking their lives to thwart the designs of the mysterious Egyptian god Set...

Featuring Apollo, Baroud, Count Saint-Germain, Corsak, Dan Diamond, the Guardian of the Republic, the Senegalese Guard, Imhotep, the Black Lily, Red Feather, Sadko, Tanka, Wazilla, and Xiu Kappa!

Bonus: a 20-page portfolio gallery of all the Partisans by Mario Guevara.

Over the last 10 months I have not had a very good time and not lifted a pen to draw anything for months. I even put off wanting to review these books but I am glad I relented.

I love that cover. art and the text design works well with it. Guevara has a rather sketchy looking style combined with what looks like a wash of some kind. I may be wrong but who knows.  The one thing I will write is that I have always been a little 50-50 when it comes to Guevara's style but I think that with this book his work is the best I have seen to date. I loved it and it actually got me comic art interested again.

There is a little guide to Partisan members but then.... oh, then come the pin up pages. Gorgeous and I wish I had room on my walls as I'd definitely print these out as posters (maybe one day). The art actually reminds me, if you are old enough you will know what I mean, 1970s black and white comic magazines and I have fond memories of the ones from Atlas Seaboard!

As for the stories well, Lofficier does all the writing so it all flows well keeping characteristion good and the pacing of action well done. Having one person in overall charge of writing and planning out storylines helps -a bit like Roy Thomas used to do at Marvel. Lofficier seems to keep things fresh and he has a good selection of French Golden and Silver ages characters to select from.

That freshness in the story and the artwork is something a comic fan should be interested in and if I had to say "buy this one" to see what is going on at Hexagon this would be the one. It really is fun and action and we get to see the inception of an idea for something called C.L.A.S.H.

Check out the Hexagon site and if you want to buy a copy please consider buying from the company as it helps them.


No comments:

Post a Comment