Total Pageviews

Translate

Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Corrections from Jean-Marc on Hexagon Reviews

 I have to admit that seeing so many books eaach year that get revbiewed or which I just read is likely turning my brain to mush!

While reviewing books I do get flashes of "I've seen this before -no I have not!" .  I once wrote an over long glowing review of a Cinebook title that I had picked up from a new stack and it seemed all too familiar to me.  In fact it was familiar because I had reviewed the book two years earlier and have no idea why it was with the new books!

Unlike most reviewers for the sake of accuracy I always welcome corrections because I am human and make the occasional mistake (delete, re-write and publish on the internet is far more forgiving than an error in print!).

When I got an email from Jean-Marc I read it and thought "No. I didn't review that....oh. There it is on the shelf!"  At  least I occasionally remember to breath!

"Thank you for the latest batch of reviews & your exceedingly kind words. Very much appreciated.

"I thought you might enjoy a couple of footnotes from me:

* in your most recent review of GUARDIAN/JESS PUMA, you favorably comment on the latter, but I feel compelled to mention that you had already read the introduction both her & Roxy in DICK DEMON, which you also reviewed favorably in 2021:


"At the time you wrote: "How will this lead into other Hexagon stories? ... There are some nice character twists here and it's good to see the world Demon will be inhabiting built up and it will be interesting to see how the character evolves. "

"We;ll, you wish has been fulfilled! :-)

* As for the "Mirrorverse" of Paris, it was also introduced and explored in STRANGERS #5: THE KINGDOM OF SHIVAR (in which Dick Demon was a guest-star), reviewed there:






"You're quite right to point out that, like Roy Thomas, my friend, mentor and occasional collaborator, I tend to keep a tight grip on continuity. I tend to provide what I think is the basic information necessary in my intros, but I don't pepper the stories with footnotes "last seen in XXX" so you are perfectly entitled to not recall every bit of nook & cranny continuity. After all, it's been 5 years since these stories appeared. And I don't recall what I had for breakfast yesterday!

Best, as always,

jm"

Well, fantastically written reviews 😉 and I had to look through the books again and, yep, suddenly had everything come back to mind crystal clear.  I should point out that I tend to write and review then push it all to the back of my mind which has to be pretty cluttered by now. In writing a story I had to refer back to a previous book and something my character did. I was somewhat shocked to realise that the new villain I was introducing had appeared in cameo in that book!  Luckily, it fitted in well but, you know, us older guys.

Those Hexagon books are still available by the way so well worth checking out!

Noiw what was it I had to do...?

BREATHE!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment