PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 20 November 2012

You Can Ask Me Anything For £100 Or Just Feck Off!


Last year I helped some twelve people working on dissertations pertaining to comics for university degree work.  I helped no fewer than 15 researching old British comics/writing books on the medium. All of this involved a lot of work on my part and what have the thanks been?  Nothing.  Not a mention.  All ‘original research’ on their parts.
if you are involved in this type of work and thinking of asking me for the bulk of your research -DO NOT.  Get off your asses and work for it.
I will no longer be acting as a consultant to people setting up a comic company -not that they are real “companies”.  You might think that if they plan to do this they have a “plan”?  No. Last year I had ten such people and it was almost as though the same person had written the email:
1.  “What type of comic/genre is selling best?”
2.  “What format is selling best”
3. “What sort of book should I publish first?”
4.  “Which artists that are good and liable to sell (their work) best that work for free?”
5.  “What sort of publishing plan do I need?”

Now, if you have not sorted out these basic questions then you are NOT a “new publisher looking at the market” or a publisher of any kind.  They are all asking the same thing: what is guaranteed to make me a lot of money fast without thinking about the artist and what do I do then?
They may as well sign their, uh, ‘companies’ over to me.
This is a yearly thing and recently, because of films such as Avengers Assemble these morons think you can pick a genre that will sell, make you lots of money and then its the movie deal.
95% of these people just vanish -especially when you point out that IF a book DID make money you would HAVE to pay the artist something.
Then we have the artists and writers who all want the info on who to talk to to get that book deal straightaway.  Some cannot write a script.  Some -in fact about 96% of artists ask which company is more likely to like their art and who to approach…without even showing me so much as a panel of artwork!
For all of those mentioned above (I know there are more out there) I need to make this clear: I now have a flat consultation fee of £100.  You want me to do your work you pay me -ask a pro consultation firm and you’ll be lucky to pay less than £500.
Seriously, ingratitude and being messed about has made me harden my stance.  you do not want to pay the fee then do not write to me just feck off.  I need to eat and pay bills.
NO ONE gets favours any more.
This is not a right.
CBO is NOT a democracy for morons.

No comments:

Post a Comment