PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 28 August 2014

So I Buy This Comic On Ebay....

Well, it was issue #2 of The Adventures Of The Fly #2 and I got it for just over £5.00.

This is a very early Silver Age comic.

This morning, after torrential downpours, the postman hands me two packages.  One is a cheap A4 brown envelope so I expected to find papers inside. The envelope is coming undone. Its soak. Semi-mangled. I open it...it's The Adventures Of The Fly #2 -unbagged, un-boarded, no protection what-so-ever in the envelope. I now have a wet, falling apart, twisted 'comic'.

For every one person who protects the items sent, around 10 seem to think "oh just chuck it in an envelope" -but you as the buyer are paying for the postage you expect will cover the protected envelope.

*****! ****!  ****!

Just sent a polite BUT strongly worded message to the seller.

This is what a good copy looks like...looking at mine I could cry. It's only bin-filler now.  Survived in Fair condition since 1959....


I'm going off to cry.

UP-DATE. This is the response I just got: "I am so sorry about this. Please accept my apologies."  That's it.

5 comments:

  1. As a regular buyer on eBay, the stupidity of some sellers when it comes to protecting items in the mail astounds me. If I were you, I'd send it back and tell him you want a full refund, including all postage costs. Failing that, send it to me and I'll try and restore it to some semblance of decency and return it to you - no charge.

    Incidentally, that doesn't look like a Kirby cover, the Fly character appearing to be a swipe from an early Captain America cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Kid. Yeah, I'm thinking its a Joe Simon cover. The comic I received was, quite literally, pulping. Its been in a very dry place and now soaked up the rain water that just went through the envelope. I had to bin it as it was falling to pieces in my hands and I have too many papers here! I'm waiting to hear if I'm getting a refund but if nothing by tomorrow its a complaint to ebay. oh, yes, that is a CA swipe as I can see the actual cover it came from in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame, 'cos you got it for a good price. Quire a few copies are going (or have gone) for hundreds of dollars on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From legit US dealers between $79-90 and I do not doubt others are selling for much higher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're telling me. Here's three prices on eBay at the moment:$124.99, $199.99 & $226.80. The cheapest I saw at a quick browse was $45.

    ReplyDelete