PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 21 July 2019

Cinebook the 9th Art: LUCKY LUKE 73 - THE PROPHET


Authors: Bob de Groot; illustrated by Morris
Age: 8 years and up
Size: 21.7 x 28.7 cm
Number of pages: 48 colour pages
Publication: April 2019
 ISBN: 9781849184403
 £6.99 inc. VAT


Returned to their penitentiary by Lucky Luke for the umpteenth time, the Daltons meet a troubling character: Dunkle, a self-proclaimed prophet fond of fiery speeches. His continual preaching eventually converts the ever hapless Averell. Soon, all five escape together and find refuge in a friendly, welcoming community, where they sow chaos and discord each in their own way – unaware that Lucky Luke is already tracking them …

There has to be criticism about the US penal system back then!  

I mean, 73 volumes in and these miscreants still escape and cause trouble and Luke captures them and returns them to prison and then...they escape...AGAIN!!

To be honest I ran out of things to say about Lucky Luke books about 20 volumes ago!  

Quality of art -top notch and cannot be faulted!
Story and gags- do I have to repeat myself?  Okay: top notch and cannot be faulted!
Print and colour quality -(I am NOT asking this time!): top notch and cannot be faulted!

Add to all of this the fact that LL has now reached volume 73 and you have to be impressed. I was never a fan of the character but I soon became one (a fan) and all those years ago -I prefer to not think how many years ago- I wondered how the character/series might be greeted by UK readers (these English language versions are snapped up by French and Belgian tourists,too). 

I thought volume 20 was a milestone since only 4(?) had seen print in English before.

I thought volume 30 was an incredible milestone but volume 40...50...60...THAT, my friends, is success.

I would recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment