PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 21 May 2021

Was Marvel Comics The Union Really That Bad?

 


Someone said that I was a tad unfair on the 5 issue Marvel series The Union written by Paul Grist.

Up to that point I had read parts 1 and 2 (my reviews here)

Issue 1 

 https://hoopercomicart.blogspot.com/2021/01/marvel-comics-union-1disappointing.html

Issue 2

https://hoopercomicart.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-union-2oh-dear.html

I thought I had to be fair and, yes, I did get issues 3-5.  After all I love Grist's Jack Staff, Burglar Bill and Mud Man and I was just reading through them at 0300 hrs the other day.  I think Jack Staff is a vastly under rated British super hero series with enough quirkiness to please anyone.  Mud Man sort of hit the mud-flats and just stopped as it was getting interesting.

So, I read The Union 1-5 again. Awful. Characterisation....needed characterisation. Story needed re-working because....it was bad.  I do wonder whether the fact that it was supposed to be included in the Empyre storyline meant material was re-written? To me even the end was pretty naff -"I'm being reassigned to DEFRA -I always wanted to drive a tractor" left m,e saying "Oh for f sake" out loud.  In case you do not know DEFRA stands for Department of Environment Farming and Rural Affairs and they are all desk jockies tapping on keyboards and, through my wildlife work, my nemesis.

I even started wondering whether someone had done a re-write of Grist's script but I've npot heard anything to that effect so "doggy doo belongs to the doggy standing over it".

Grist is usually a good writer so we'll chalk this up to a creative hic-cup. My copies are going into a box to be forgotten.

"R.I.P. the Union" as they say in Scotland



No comments:

Post a Comment