PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 9 April 2015

Brendan McCarthy, Al Ewing, Len O'Grady and a Zaucer Of Zilk



Was it really in 2012 that IDW published the two issues The Zaucer Of Zilk?  Having given up on comic shops by that time I missed the event -and it was an event with both issues selling out.  So, in 2013 I stumbled across the IDW special which published both issues in one ad-free book!

I say that I stumbled upon it but here is the very strange thing.  Normally, I will say "I picked this up at --no comic shop name cuz thats free publicity for them!"  But for the life of me I cannot remember where I got it.  Seriously. It is a bulky edition -76 pages- so I would normally remember. 

But what is this story about? Well here is one blurb for it:

"Get Zaucy! After instantaneous sell-outs of the single issues, IDW is proud to announce this special reprint of the collaboration with 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing, The Zaucer of Zilk! Brendan McCarthy & Al Ewing’s phantasmagorical psychedelic extravaganza from beyond the fringes of imagination features an inter-dimensional magician who travels across the realms to save his number-one fan from the dank clutches of arch-nemesis Errol Raine, as visualized by the brilliantly surreal artist McCarthy!"

That covers it -very briefly!

This even out-shone the excellent 2010 McCarthy led Spider-Man: Fever 3 issue series.  Now if anyone -anyone- should have been handed Dr Strange as a series it was McCarthy and Co.  I mean -look!

 https://p.dreamwidth.org/a773787fda0f/www.jlroberson.org/scansdaily/brendan_spideyfever_200.jpg


https://p.dreamwidth.org/248ac8c8205c/www.jlroberson.org/scansdaily/brendan_spideyfever_203.jpg
 http://brendanmccarthy.byethost8.com/comicwork/Fever35.jpg.jpg

Anyway, back to The Zaucer Of Zilk which is, after all, what I am supposed to be posting about!

I read it straight away. Looked at the art.  Looked at the art again...then again....then read it again.  Then I realised that the second time I read it I had a slightly different take on the story.  A month later I read it again and I found lots more subtleties than before.

This book just kept on giving!

And the art.....I must stop drooling.  The art, well, let's give a credit check here: the story was a joint effort between Brendan McCarthy and Al Ewing and Al Ewing wrote the script.  Brendan McCarthy did the art and the colours....oooh, the colours....were by Len O'Grady.  And I need to say that O'Grady did a feckin incredible job.  Ellie De Ville did the lettering which is just as important and if you've read this you'll know why.

Put this all together into one book with no ads, add a strong cup of coffee and your daily meds and you'll be tripping.  I just cannot rave enough about this and if Marvel ain't going to hand Dr Strange over to McCarthy (and I don't mean in a hostage style way) then McCarthy better bloody create his own version and find a publisher.  




Was that a little too angry?  Sorry.

Spider-Man: Fever and The Zaucer Of Zilk are two books I read if I get too down.  

Things just brighten up and get very entertaining.  And it is fun.  In all seriousness that is what comics are supposed to be -entertaining and fun.

For me this is a class of the comic book genre and we need MORE!!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment