PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 15 April 2015

My Thoughts On Herb trimpe

 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/MarvelSuper-Heroes16.jpg
It was during a hot school Summer holiday that I was staying with my grandparents in Rackham Crescent, Lockleaze, Bristol. On this particular day I had decided not to walk up to Gainsborough Square to see what I might spend my money on.  I decided, instead, to walk down Sheldon Avenue because there was a newsagents tucked away round a corner.

The comic I got had a very exciting cover and certainly did not cost me the 1/- 9d on the cover.  I think I got it for about a shilling (after 1971 decimalisation that would be 5p!).  It was a copy of Marvel Super Heroes no. 16 (1967) and I am quite sure I bought the comic in 1971 now that I think of it.  We had all watched the Moon landing at my grandparents home in Sevier Street, St. Werburghs and they moved to Lockleaze a couple years later.

Wow. Comics really can bring back memories!

Anyway, the issue had Captain America and the Sub-Mariner and The Patriot and Black Knight.  What wasn't to like?  But that cover....and the story with great art by Herb Trimpe. I still have the comic and, boy, that cover still gets me and what a move by Marvel to have a World War 1 costumed hero!

Of course, a lot of fans remember Trimpe for Shogun Warriors -in a moment of insanity I gave these to my brother.  No idea what I was thinking!
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/0/4/18423-3011-20605-1-shogun-warriors.jpg

It really was a lovely series and I still have fond memories of it.  Trimpe put that star touch to it.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/bc0d600682c2d2e6ab341bcabc0a2f48/tumblr_n2aabhVqyY1qcrhtio1_1280.jpg

Of course, Trimpe is known and loved for his seven years run as artist on The Incredible Hulk where writers often relied on his knowledge of the character -and Trimpe often had to go and draw an issue after only the briefest of story conferences!

And while reading a Hulk comic on a bus stop waiting for a bus heading towards Lockleaze I saw Jim Wilson, a young "Afro-American" who was the new Rick Jones side-kick to the Hulk.  Trimpe co-created Wilson who, as a character was just that to me but I had no idea introducing "black" characters was a big thing in the US.

Oh, now what was that other character Trimpe introduced to the comic world in his inimitable style? "Wolfie"? "Wolver"?  Oh -Wolverine!

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/f/03/5351494fd8850/detail.jpg


But Trimpe also worked on the Godzilla comic.  Remember?



http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/f/f5/Godzilla_Vol_1_21.jpg

I'm just showing this next piece because I love it!
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/04/trimpe-hulk-630x420.jpg

Oh, and of course, Mr Trimpe was also the artist who drew another major Marvel comics character (if badly used in recent years) and one especially remembered with affection by British fans as he was our first headlining British Marvel super hero -Captain Britain!

Check out the leaping, red-haired Nazi types of The Fourth Reich!
 https://benjaminherman.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/captain-britain-17-pg-2.jpg
Herb Trimpe and the comics he drew bring a lot of memories back and I guess that's what happens if you are a comicker of my age rather than a comic book geek chic type with all the knowledge of a year or so.

Herb Trimpe may have died but his work and legacy NEVER will.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that. It brought a tear to my eye. I must be getting old. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artists that inspired me in the comics world : John Canning , Frank Bellamy , Frank Langford , Gerry Haylock , Bill Titcombe , Harry North , Martin Asbury , Frank Hampson , Hunt Emerson . Across the Atlantic : Kurt Schaffenberger , Dick Sprang , Jim Mooney , Steve Ditko , John Romita , Gene Colan , Will Eisner , Herb Trimpe , Joe Sinnott , Lee Elias , Frank Robbins , Milton Caniff , European : Jean Giraud - Moebius , J C Mezieres , Hergé . Lumme ! I need a rest .

    ReplyDelete